Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nested Folders (or Albums)?

New to iPhoto, used to have evrything on Windows.

Here's the nested structure I would like:

YEAR 2010 (effectively just a heading folder, no pics actually in it)

Topic subfolders (e.g. "Christmas Parties")

Party 1

Party 2

Party 3

YEAR 2011

.....and so on.

Obviously some topic subfolders will stand alone with all that topics pics in it; others will themselves have sub-folders. And some will be empty (i.e. effectively just heading folders like "Christmas Parties" above) with all the actual pics in its subfolders.

I've messed about for hours with Albums and Folders in iPhoto but just can't seem to get this together. Maybe it's not possible? Maybe I'm thinking Windows and have to reconceptualize?

Any ideas gratefully received!

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 6:16 PM

Sure - easy

ALbums hold photos - folders hold albums and/or other folders

so you create folders and ablums like

Vacations

Europe

France

Italy

South America

Asia

China

Korea

North America

Canada

USA

Alaska

Utah

Continue as needed

LN

8 replies

Jan 30, 2014 7:45 PM in response to LarryHN

Oh Yeah Larry, that works, simple!

One thing: if you sync photos to iPad only the lowest level albums appear as such. i.e. in your above diagramatic, France and Italy appear as individual Albums, but they are not contained within "Europe", and Europe is not contained within "Vacations". Gonna end up with a helluva lot of individual Albums on the iPad once I've organized all my pics in iPhoto!

See I thought I'd see just four "Albums" on the iPad 2010, 2011,2012 and 2013 and if I clicked on one it would then expand to show it's sub-albums, which I could click on through to see individual pics.

Any ideas?

Jan 30, 2014 9:20 PM in response to LarryHN

OK Larry, thanks.

Lord, not very good arrangement is it? I suppose I'll have to put the year with each album namr. And where album is meant to be in a sub-folder of a folder (eg: "France" in your schematic) there's really nothing you can do. Going to end up with some very long and convoluted album names!

You'd think Apple could converge their various machines a bit better than this.

May 22, 2015 8:11 AM in response to tetters

PLEASE HELP....I've spend DAYS trying to do what I thought would be simple file & folder organizing basics like A, (a), 1, 01, whatever trying to create folders and subfolders and albums that will remain in a good order and often even the pictures get moved around after HOURS of setting their position.......I

have several thousand photographs of 3x5 index cards written on each card is ONE thing to do........I didn't want to use my scanner so I am photographing each index card and importing into iPhoto and SIMPLY TRYING to organize these things to do photos into albums and folders like THIS!!!!!!!!

Things To Do 1

A.

(a)

(b)

(c)

Things To Do 2

B.

(a)

(b)

(c)

Things To Do 3

C.

(a)

(b)

(c)

Or something similar…….So much time invested, I am so tired and depressed!!!!!!!!!!…….SO MANY DAYS WASTED I GUESS…..kaejriogfjiwdjrguinweoirjgwoejrglijsdfiv

If ANYBODY out there knows how to show me how to form some sort of logical file structure in iPhoto then please respond to this message....

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

May 22, 2015 8:32 AM in response to APPLE DREAMER - PC CLINGER

Start by forgetting files and folders. This app is for organising Photographs not files. If you want to organise files use the file manager - the Finder.

There are lots of logical ways to organise but it needs to respond to the nature of the photo. Now you need to forget the theatrics and explain what you're trying to do, and where it breaks down on you.

May 24, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Terence,

It's probably too complicated to explain here, maybe in a phone call and I don't know how to make that happen.

I will tell you after I import to iPhoto from iPhone I carefully rotate all images, then create an album and carefully arrange each photo, then experiment sometimes the order of photos is lost and sometimes the order is also lost in the folder but not in the album.

Anyway...I wish we could talk.

Thanks.......

Nested Folders (or Albums)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.