Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quadra 605

I need system software 7.5.5 for a Quadra 605.

<Email Edited by Host>

Other OS, System software 7.5.5

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 6:17 AM

http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

scroll way down to Sytem Software Downloads. Looks like you also need to get Softeware Enabler 065 from teh same section.

25 replies

Jan 31, 2014 3:04 PM in response to Reinaldo1963

Please note that 7.5.5 is merely an update.

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/System/System_7.5.5_Update/Sys_7.5.5_Update.txt

If not already installed, a complete System 7.5.3 (nineteen files) can be found via the web page mentioned by Allan.

No System Enabler 065 needed under System 7.5.3/7.5.5.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ta28948

BTW, it may not be necessary to install the 7.5.5 update at all; System 7.5.3 usually works fine as it is.

Jan

Jan 31, 2014 10:04 PM in response to Reinaldo1963

Hi,

Is the Quadra 605 fully working today? If so, under which operating system version?

Do you have access to another older (pre-1998) Macintosh computer with a built-in floppy drive? If not, a more modern Mac and an external USB floppy drive? Alternatively, a Windows PC with a floppy drive?

The nineteen System 7.5.3 files could be copied to 1.44 MB floppies. This is not a normal set of system floppies, though (see the text file). The idea would be to transfer all nineteen files (which, once decoded, constitute one large disk image) to the hard disk of the Quadra 605.

If necessary, a Network Access Disk 7.5 floppy (also available from the web page above) can be used as a startup disk.

Do not hesitate to post back for details about transfers, decoding, etc.

Jan

Feb 1, 2014 8:58 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan, you're terrific ... or else ... you need to get a life. :-) Thank you again for responding so soon and with such relevant info! Your information may be exactly what will fix my problem (if I understand and follow your directions exactly). Here's why. I have had two old Quadra 605s for 9-10 years bought from a garage sale. (I bought batteries and want to resurrect them to give to some kids. I have great software on them from when I used to teach elementary students.) One Quadra does have System 7.5.5 and the other with 7.1. I have been trying to obain the floppies for the 7.1, but if what you are saying is correct then, if I understand, I should be able to copy files from the 7.5.5 and install that system on the 7.1. I had not thought of that, but if I had, I don't think that I would have tried it because I have always undetstood that system software was engineered to NOT be copied. Both of these Quadras do have built-in floppy drives. I'm afraid of completely losing the recipient Quadra if I don't have the righ 'stuff' for installing.

Well, I just now tried to copy the system folder onto a 1.4 mb floppy and "was told" that I need nearly 35mb more which means I would need nearly 30 1.4mb floppies!! ... which I do not have. I see now what you mean by "one LARGE disk image." So... I'm wondering if that system folder could be compressed to fit on a 1.4 floppy, probably not. After looking at http://support.apple.com/kb/ta28948 I see that I need System Enabler 065, but don't see yet where or how to get it, hopefully, by snailmail on a floppy and not downloadable, but does it contain System 7.5.3? Now I'll see about the Network Access Disk 7.5 floppy you mentilned. I didn't see it on that Apple support site. So far I haven't found where I can obtain a Network Access Disk 7.5 floppy. I'll keep searching.

I have an external USB floppy drive with 100mb disks, but see no way to move downloaded system software to the Quadra, so it seems the only solution is to locate some original system 7.5 floppies.

Thank you for trying to help.

Ron @ ronliz3@mac.com

Feb 2, 2014 6:31 AM in response to Reinaldo1963

Hello,

>but if what you are saying is correct then, if I understand, I should be able to copy files from the 7.5.5 and install that system on the 7.1.

It was was not meant like that in this case. I was referring to copying downloaded System 7.5.3 file segments to floppies (for transfers).

However, in principle you are right. It is possible to copy a system folder, and then move that folder to another machine. This is sometimes used as a temporary measure before installing a complete system, or when troubleshooting.

>because I have always undetstood that system software was engineered to NOT be copied.

This is correct. You should always use the installer whenever possible. In the case we discuss here, that would mean downloading and installing System 7.5.3 (nineteen files).

>Well, I just now tried to copy the system folder onto a 1.4 mb floppy and "was told" that I need nearly 35mb more which means I would need nearly 30 1.4mb floppies!!

Let us try to find a way of installing a completely new System 7.5.3 on the System 7.1 machine instead (if you absolutely want there). System 7.5.3 can later be updated to 7.5.5 (if necessary).

Generally speaking, if you need to copy large files from one Quadra to another, you could use file sharing (through a normal Macintosh MiniDIN-8M to MiniDIN 8-M printer cable between the printer ports).

>After looking at http://support.apple.com/kb/ta28948 I see that I need System Enabler 065,

No, not with System 7.5.3 (see note D).

>I didn't see it on that Apple support site. So far I haven't found where I can obtain a Network Access Disk 7.5 floppy

It is on the Older Software Downloads list (http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html) under Utilities:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin

You will need Disk Copy 4.2 (the Make A Copy button) to create a floppy from the Network Access Disk 7.5 download.

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Disk_Copy/Disk_Copy_4.2.sea.bin

>I have an external USB floppy drive with 100mb disks, but see no way to move downloaded system software to the Quadra

Is that an Iomega Zip 100 USB drive? If so, it would be possible to use a SCSI Iomega Zip 100 drive with the same 100 MB disk. That would make it possible to move downloaded files from a more modern computer (the USB drive) to a Quadra 605 (the SCSI drive connected to the SCSI port). Zip 100 (SCSI) drives can be found at low prices through an online auction site.

Which more modern computers do you have access to? Another Mac (model and operating system?) and/or a Windows PC (internal floppy drive?)?

Any SCSI accessories, like an external CD-ROM drive for the Quadras?

Jan

Feb 2, 2014 11:31 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Addendum

The exact location for the nineteen System 7.5.3 files is on the Older Software Downloads list under System Software Downloads (http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html#system).

System_7.5.3_01of19.smi.bin

System_7.5.3_02of19.part.bin

et cetera, all the way to

System_7.5.3_19of19.part.bin

BTW, has any of the two Quadras been equipped with an Ethernet network card?

Do you have access to an old serial modem (with modem cable) for the Quadras?

Extra information about available hardware is going to make it easier to suggest suitable transfer solutions.

Is there a StuffIt Expander utility on one of the Quadras?

Jan

Feb 3, 2014 9:26 AM in response to Reinaldo1963

Reinaldo,

Knowing what large city you are near can help in answering your question. Seattle may be home to the newest Super Bowl champions, but four blocks east of their stadium is a recycling store that saves older Mac software from certain destruction. They sell software. Here is the challenge. Who will value that resource the most?

We have all of the software disks and discs you need but they are not for sale. They are used in educational programs. I believe that the best source of older software is Mac user groups. Post back with your approximate location - no personal information, please. Then maybe we can find local resources for you. Otherwise, offer the highest bid on ebay and you can own your own piece of Apple OS history.

Ji~m

Feb 13, 2014 8:55 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you Jan, Ji~m, and Alan for trying to help me get one Quadra 7.5.1 installed with system 7.5.3 which I do have on another Quadra 605. (All that for review.) I'm impressed with the responses on this support site!!

Finally, I'm getting back to this issue. So many questions and ideas. I'll try to answer them because I still have not succeeded in getting system 7.5.3 on that one Quadra 605. From your suggestions I have downloaded some of the 7.5.3 disc images to 1.4 floppies. However, the Quadra with the 7.5.1 system does not recognize the formated floppy and wanted to reformat it which I did, but then that formated floppy would not let me install a 7.5.3 downloaded disc image on it. With Disk Utilities I tried both formats available, OS Standard and OS Extended, but neither was accepted by the 7.5.1 Quadra. Hopefully, this is clear.

The equipment I'm using is an iMac witth System 10.6.8 and an external USB floppy drive. As mentioned in an earlier post, I do have an Iomega Zip drive with 100mb disks, but it is USB. I saw SCSI Zip drives on eBay, but have not yet ordered one. That may be my only option short of obtaining original System 7.5.3 floppies which I have not seen online. But I'll still have the problem with incompatible formating between my iMac and the Quadra 7.5.1.

To answer your questions:

Stuffit Expander on a Quadra? Yes, 4.5

Ethernet card? No

Old serial modem? No

External CD ROM dirve for Quadra? No

(Ji~m, I live two hours south of Bronco's Denver-ville. Congrats to the Hawks fantastic smashing.)

Thank you for your help!

Ron

Feb 13, 2014 9:40 PM in response to Reinaldo1963

Ron,

There are a lot of places online that will sell you a SCSI zip drive for $40 or less. There must be some recycler in Denver that will sell you one for $10. Seattle has a great store for recycled Macs. Spokane has ecycling stores with old mac stuff. If you are going to Denver some time, look for used computer stores. Buy anything SCSI because SCSI is great for working on older computers. You can partition a old SCSI hard drive and have multiple OS options. You can have OS 7.1, 7.5.3 (my favorite), 8.1 (the next favorite) all on one drive. Boot from a bare bones system floppy, select the OS partition you want and then restart from the external SCSI drive. Copy the System folder, reselect the internal hard drive and reboot. That simple.

Even OS 8.1 will fit on a 100 Meg zip disk. Put it in a SCSI zip drive and it will boot many different models. BTW, always select a unviversal install instead of a model specific install.

Good luck tracking down a SCSI zip drive. Ours have been going strong since 1995.

Ji~m

Feb 14, 2014 6:30 AM in response to Reinaldo1963

Hi Ron,

>one Quadra 7.5.1

>system 7.5.3 which I do have on another Quadra 605

Earlier you mentioned one System 7.5.5 and one 7.1.

>I'm using is an iMac witth System 10.6.8 and an external USB floppy drive.

That may be your first problem. Mac OS X 10.6.x can read but not write HFS (Mac OS Standard). I guess that this is true for disks in an external USB floppy drive as well (and for Zip disks in a USB Zip 100 drive).

All Macintosh computers with an operating systems earlier than Mac OS 8.1 require HFS (Mac OS Standard). The Quadra 605 can not read or write HFS+ (Mac OS Extended), the file system used on modern Macs.

So, you would either have to find a way to write HFS (Mac OS Standard, on a Mac earlier than Mac OS X 10.6), or use PC-formatted disks.

A Quadra 605 running System 7.5.x should have a PC Exchange control panel in the Control Panels folder (in the System Folder). This allows that computer to handle PC disks. A PC floppy would appear directly on the Desktop. So, if you know someone with access to a Windows PC, you should be able to download and transfer the nineteen System 7.5.3 files (keep them exactly as they were when downloaded = .bin until on the Quadra) on 1.44 MB PC-formatted floppy disks. Once at the Quadra, drag the files onto the StuffIt Expander program icon (or open the files from the File menu when StuffIt Expander has been launched).

A System 7.1 Quadra 605 may or may not have a PC Exchange control panel in the Control Panels folder. The normal way to handle PC disks under System 7.1 was otherwise to run a separate program called Apple File Exchange (to be manually installed from the Tidbits system floppy).

Jan

Feb 14, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Appaloosa mac man

Hi Jim,

It is a bit strange to have to suggest using a Windows computer and PC-formatted floppies for transfers to an old Mac. Or, to use PC diskettes in a USB floppy drive connected to a Mac OS X 10.6.8 iMac...

Yes, a beige G3 (or perhaps another slightly older pre-1998 Macintosh computer with Ethernet) connected to the Internet would make things easier.

Jan

Feb 14, 2014 3:25 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan & Jim,

You two are having too much fun ... at my expense?? :-) I'm getting confuseder and confuseder.

The cleanest process, that I can understand, is to download (with my 10.6.8 iMac) the system software to my USB Zip drive, then with a SCSI Zip drive install the system onto the Quadra. But the formatting problem....

Do ethernet cards exist for the Quadra?

Jim mentioned 8.1 as a favorite which sounds great if it will work on a Quadra 605 and as long a I'm going to all this trouble, why not install the best system possible. Syst. 8 comes on CD-ROM, but I see on Apple's site that 8.1 can be downloaded just as 7.5.3 can. Or if I obtained 8.1 on a CD I think I could put it in my iMac, copy the sytstem onto the USB Zip disk and then SCSI Zip it onto the Quadras. Still would have the formatting problem, I think!

Is the formatting the only real obstackle here:

Ron

Quadra 605

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.