Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help solve my troube.

This is a message my Macbook pro (early 2011) shows:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in "---" can’t be read or written. (Error code -36).

The HDD is new without any data, formatted as HSF, DU shows no problems, HDD works OK via USB but inside macbook this error shows up. DU is unable to format the HDD (Volume Erase failed with the error: File system formatter failed.)

I'm useing frame for second HDD intead of DVD burner.

The HDD is WD Black 750Gb/7200rpm

OSX 10.8.5

Thanks for reply

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 9:47 PM

4 replies

Jan 31, 2014 1:13 PM in response to Premek Rzounek

Hi,

Error Code -36 refers to not being able to access a Disk/Drive and sometimes a Server

I take it that the HDD is showing as Mounted in the Disk Utility ?

If you restart the Mac holding down the CMD + R keys your will see a main window and also a standard Menu Bar.

Ignoring the main window use the Utilities menu and use th Disk Utility there.

Does this give a different result ?

User uploaded file

9:13 pm Friday; January 31, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Feb 2, 2014 8:55 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

The OSX could even read/wright on/from the disk but only file by file. When I tried copy the whole folder, error message pops up but file by file I was able to copy all files in the folder. So I tried copy with mucommander. The commander could copy most things but folder size was allways different. Also the copy speed was not as high as should be. So I tried reformat the disk. DU showed error that formatter failed. I took disk out of the macbook and for some reason I tried in USB dock, suddenly everything was just fine. So I reformated and put the disk back inside macbook. Of course the disk had the same problems again. I tried put the disk out and back a couple of times with the same results. For a moment I thought my hdd caddy was somehow broken so I tried put another hdd instead of the WD one. I had older Hitachi 500GB/7200rpm. This hdd is working like charm. So I left it there. I'm still curious why the WD isn't working properly inside the macbook but is fine via USB.

Please help solve my troube.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.