Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Haswell Macbook Pro with upgradeable RAM?

Hi everyone,

I'm on the verge of spending some serious cash on a new macbook pro, but what I've uncovered about the brand new model is hugely disappointing. It seems that Apple has decided that upgradeable RAM is no longer an important feature for a $2000 machine (Macbook Pro with Retina).

16GB of RAM is just fine for today, but when I spend this kind of money on a computer, I want to make absolutely sure that it will be capable of handing tomorrow's tasks. Modern motherboards are coming out that are capable of addressing 64 gigs of memory, yet the most powerful laptop that Apple has to offer only gets a quarter of this amount, and it's directly soldered to the motherboard.

Because I'm in the market strictly for a Haswell-type chipset (because of the insane power consumption improvements), I need to know if any of Apple's current Macbook Pro lineup offers a Haswell chipset with upgradeable memory.

Additionally, having an industry-standard 2.5" drive slot with even one SATA connector would also be nice. I would like to be able to upgrade disk storage without having to throw hundreds towards Apple's drives.

So does anyone know if such a macbook pro is offered? The "Pro" line of products used to imply upgrade capability - I really don't think that serviceable memory and 1 drive bay are too much to ask for 2 grand.

Thanks for any help in advance! I hope someone can offer me something of reassurance!

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 9:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 10:04 PM

the ram is not upgradeable. I agree that it is rediculous. Apple likes to really keep control of what consumers can do with their products.

3 replies

Haswell Macbook Pro with upgradeable RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.