Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Arabic font: In certain contexts, when writing Arabic with vowel signs (fatha, damma, kasra, sukun) a sequence of sukun fatha/damma etc. would reverse automatically. Is this a known bug?

Problem with Arabic font: In certain contexts, when writing Arabic with vowel signs (fatha, damma, kasra, sukun) a sequence of sukun + fatha/damma etc. would reverse automatically. Is this a known bug?

Example:عَيْنٌ

would automatically convert to عَيُنْ

Funnily, it doesn't seem to happen here, but it does when entering text in a web interface (using Firefox, font Bayan) and when using Text Edit.

Seems to be a problem of a specific font, as e.g. Arial MS Unicode works fine. Any hints?

Thank you!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 1:38 AM

13 replies

Jan 31, 2014 6:41 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the answer. As far as I could pinpoint it, the problem occurs as described with Geeza Pro. AlBayan has a similar problem, in that it merges sukun and the following vowel signs. I.e. it doesn't stay over the intended consonant but moves to the left.

I've tried a few more fonts (in TextEdit): Al Nile, Badhdad and Damascus all have the same problem as AlBayan (the merging of diacritics/vowel signs). Al Tarikh is special in that the upper diacritics aren't even visible but are moved out of the visible field. The only two fonts I found so far that do work are Diwan Kufi and Diwan Thuluth. The latter two are very artful but not the best fonts for a database, where I'm working on.

Jun 1, 2014 1:43 AM in response to Davkil

Hi. I'm relatively new to Apple. I'm using Mac Air with Mavericks 10.9.3.

I've no idea how i can even start using arabic vowels on Microsoft Word for Apple or on TextEdit. After much consultation with Applecare on use of Arabic fonts, the support person advised me to add Arabic as a language in System Preferences. I've only just managed to get Arabic fonts to be displayed in Textedit and Word. A little fald appears in the top bar of the screen next to the battery charge icon. I click this to switch between languagues. Is this how you guys are witching between Arabic and English?

How do i begin to place vowels on arabic letters? My Mac Air has a standard English keyboard so what is the best way to determine which English alphabet keys represent which arabic characters?

I have installed Lateef.

Would much appreciate a simple explanation.

Kind Regards

Jun 1, 2014 2:46 AM in response to Musaafir

Musaafir wrote:

I've no idea how i can even start using arabic vowels on Microsoft Word for Apple

You can't do Arabic on MS Word for Mac. This app has never supported RTL scripts, so you need to use something else. Mellel is best, but Pages 5, TextEdit, Nisus Writer, Open/LibreOffice should work OK.

You switch between languages by using the "flag" menu at the top right of the screen or by using the keyboard shortcuts apple/command plus space. Go to system prefs/keyboard/shortcuts to make sure that is activated.

To see which key does what, you use Keyboard Viewer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13746

You place vowels on letters by typing the key for the vowel after the key for the letter. The vowels are on the option/alt keys, option/alt + a gives you َ

Problem with Arabic font: In certain contexts, when writing Arabic with vowel signs (fatha, damma, kasra, sukun) a sequence of sukun fatha/damma etc. would reverse automatically. Is this a known bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.