Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Windows without USB or DVD drive on 2009 MacBook

Problem

I have a MacBook Pro mid 2009 fitted with both an HDD and SSD.

Obviously I had to remove the DVD SuperDrive to fit in the HDD into the Optical Bay.

This is awesome big and quick storage, but you can't use it for BootCamp anymore, BootCamp Assistant says. Because it needs the optical drive for installing Windows and it won't accept it via USB.

The good thing is, that you don't need the Bootcamp Assistant for installing Windows.

So:
I have Mac Os:X Mavericks working from my SSD (which I fitted to the HDD bay for increased speed)

The HDD is installed in the former optical drive bay, with one MacOS Ext partition for Mac storage and the other one being NTFS with Windows.

Solution

The solution is a little bit tricky, needs either a virtual Windows machine or a real one and it involves removing and refitting your hard drive, but on an older MacBook Pro like 2009s that originally came with an Optical Drive there is no other way. afaik.

Step 0.5

Backup your Data

Step 1

Partitioning your desired drive

You can do this using Apples Disk Utility if you have installed either Tuxera NTFS or NTFS 3G. Or you do that in step 3 in Windows.

I'd recommend a size of at least 30 GB, Windows 7 alone takes up around 20 GB

Step 2

Remove the hard drive and connect it to a windows machine

Afaik the next step has to happen in Windows with full hardware access. If you want to use a virtual machine i.e. VM Ware or Parallels you need to connect it via USB as an external device, otherwise it won't have full access to the partitions. Obviously you can use a real Windows computer too. Still you're gonna need to remove the drive from your Mac.

Step 3

Re-format and set "active" partition state

Format desired partition with NTFS, quick format works fine. (just in case)

Open your Windows 7 Image (or Disk) and Copy the directories "Boot" and "Sources" as well as "Bootmgr" onto the partition

Make the Partition bootable:

Using Windows XP, Vista, or 7, open CMD as Admin (Windows key + R, type CMD, hit Enter)

Enter the following commands, (replace X with what applies to your hard drive):

diskpart

list disk

select disk X

list partition

select partition X

active

exit

X:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 X:

Exit and shut down

(Source and additional images: http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-Windows-7-without-USB-or-DVD-without-upg ra/)

(If this is somehow possible using Mac Tools, please let us know!)

Step 4

Fit the HDD back into your mac

Just that.

Step 5

Install windows

Start your Mac and immediately press and hold the alt (option) key until you can select the other drive to boot windows.

Install using advanced installation to select the same partition.

Step 6

Clean up

After the installation press cmd + r (in windows) and type and run msconfig

Click to the Boot tab.

Click 'Windows Setup (\windows)', and hit Delete.

Click OK.

Click 'Exit without restart'.

And lastly, delete the ‘Sources’ folder from your hard drive root (this will free up 2-3gb).

Final Step:

Install the Mac drivers (Get the right version here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634 )

Recommendation: Use Winclone Pro to backup your precious installation.

On a footnote: This article was a big help to me: http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-Windows-7-without-USB-or-DVD-without-upg ra/)

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9), SSD & HDD in optical bay

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 4:43 AM

13 replies

Mar 24, 2014 8:14 PM in response to Don_Green

Actually, I have figured ut a quicker, simpler way. I used Bootcamp to partition and format the second drive. Then I shut down and removed both drives. I re-installed the optical drive in its original position and installed the second drive (the one I wish to boot Windows) into the main hard drive position. Then I just installed Windows with a Windows x64 disk. After it finished and I verified it could boot into Windows, I installed the Bootcamp drivers. Then I shut down, removed the optical drive, and placed the Windows drive back into the optical drive position, and the SSD into the main position.

I also installed rEFIt. I can now either boot into rEFI, or boot with ALT key method. Much easier in my opinion, and only took a half hour.

I hope this helps other people that are stuck!

Apr 21, 2014 3:00 AM in response to GV Photo

Hi I have a question for your method.

I did it almost like you except that I only put my HDD back in the HDD slot. I used a USB created by boot camp and I was able to install windows. I installed a few updated an rebooted a few times.

Everything okay. But after I put the HDD back in the optical drive slot and the SSD in the HDD slot I'm not able to boot in to my windows.

Question is: is it necessary to install windows with the DVD and the optical drive inside to make it bootable afterwards or did I miss something?

Apr 21, 2014 10:48 AM in response to Macweasle

Well that sounds like what I was experiencing. I went back into windows to reinstall the boorcamp drivers (like you, I did not get an error the first time I installed) and after that it worked just fine. Are you using a boot loader like rEFIt? I can also choose my OS by holding ALT at start up, but I cannot verify that it would be possible without rEFIt installed.

Apr 21, 2014 6:28 PM in response to Don_Green

I did everything like this post said but it's still not working for me. 😟 I tried it with my primary drive in the usual slot and the secondary hard drive for Windows in the optical bay, and I tried swapping them. Once I put the files on the secondary drive and set the partition state, when I put it back into the Mac in either bay, OSX can't see it, although if I plug the drive in as an external it shows up, but not as a boot option. rEFIt doesn't see it either.

Apr 22, 2014 2:11 AM in response to dmwingon

Have you tried resetting the PRAM? http://gigaom.com/2011/07/26/when-to-reset-your-macs-pram-and-smc/

Which Windows version are you trying to install? If I remember right, you can't use windows 8 on these older machines.

Other than that it's hard to say what could have gone wrong. I can only suggest going through the steps again carefully and making sure everything worked the way it should.

Have a look at this article too for a slighly more verbose instruction on making a drive bootable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-Windows-7-without-USB-or-DVD-without-upg ra/

How to install Windows without USB or DVD drive on 2009 MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.