Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beginner seeks help downgrading from Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard

Hi,

I'm a complete beginner with all of this so I wanted to find out whether someone could please explain to me in a simple language how to downgrade from Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard. For some stupid reason I upgraded it last week ago and now am having horrible regrets. I tried searching for answers from people who had the same inquiry, but it's too complicated and very specific to their exact situation and setup. Plus, I don't understand – is there more than one way to do it? The USB or Wi Fi way... huh?

There's also the fact that my disc drive doesn't work, nor do I have an external one, so if there's a step that requires me to insert a CD, I won't be able to get anything done. I would be more than okay to simply restore everything to the factory settings if it came down to it, but if I understand correctly, it's not at all what it sounds like and requires you to install one of the OS X's afterwards anyway? Or no? I don't get it!!

Anyway, I do have a virtual copy of Snow Leopard if it helps.

Please, someone assist this silly person!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), Model from 2008

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 5:41 AM

3 replies

Feb 2, 2014 2:10 PM in response to Puella.

Of all the solutions available, for your situation, the easiest may be to just use Disk Utility (Utilities Folder in the Applications Folders) to create a 2nd partition on your internal hard drive (or add an external hard drive) and then install Snow Leopard into it.

Then either use Startup Manager (System Preferences) or hold down the OPTION key when you reboot to use the "dual-boot" method to determine if your Mac will start up in Mavericks or Snow Leopard.

Be sure to use an "official" retail copy of the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD, available from Apple for $20. Third party alternatives can lead to time consuming problems:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

User uploaded file

Beginner seeks help downgrading from Mountain Lion to Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.