Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to hide the data in a formatted cell until the data from the relevant cells has been entered?

I have a balance sheet and I'd like to be able to hide the data in the balance column until the 'In' or 'Out' for that day has been entered

Any ideas greatfully received!

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 7:07 AM

D2=IF(AND(ISBLANK(B2), ISBLANK(C2)),"", SUM(D1)+B2−C2)

this is shorthand for in cell D2 type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

"=IF(AND(ISBLANK(B2), ISBLANK(C2)),"", SUM(D1)+B2−C2)" without the first and last double quotes

13 replies

Jan 31, 2014 8:47 AM in response to Lil' Ray Ray

Ray,

select cell D2 and type (opr copy and paste from here) the formula (Jerry's formula performs the same task and is simpler so let's us his):

"=IF(LEN(B&C)>0, BalanceExpression, "")" without the first and last double quotes

then select cell D2 (again), copy

now select the column D by clicking the column header (the "D" at the very top

now hold the command key and click the cell D1 (to unselect) now paste

select row 2 and add a new row by typing the key combination <command>+ down arrow

enter the starting balance in cell C2.

Jan 31, 2014 9:12 AM in response to Lil' Ray Ray

Hi Ray,

I am improving my Numbers skills by reading this forum and studying the answers to questions like yours. Jerry and Wayne have fixed you up.

I would clarify that in Jerry's formula where it says "BalanceExpression" this is where you insert your current formula from column D.

What the formula says is:

if the number of characters in columns B & C is greater than 0 then show the results of your Balance formula, otherwise show nothing.

A good way to improve your skills is to use the funcion browser to understand the answers offered. Its what I've been doing!

Quinn

Jan 31, 2014 9:50 PM in response to t quinn

Hi Quinn,

I am surprized that apple makes me go to a custom rule to chose a white font color.

User uploaded file

To get

User uploaded file

Or use the colour window: View > Show Colors (shift command c).

User uploaded file

Click on a colour to apply it to text of selected cells.

Drag a colour to the selected cells to apply it as the Fill:

User uploaded file

Some of the features that we thought were lost are just Hidden in Numbers 3! (I can't wait for a decent User Guide).

Regards

Ian.

Is it possible to hide the data in a formatted cell until the data from the relevant cells has been entered?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.