Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 20in makes three beeps and fails to boot?

I have just changed the hard drive on my previously working 20in Intel iMac. The drive was pre-formatted and loaded with Mountain Lion using an external dock. The computer functions when fire-wired to another iMac, showing the doners desktop. Now I hear three intermittant beeps when pressing the start button on the 20in iMac. The screen remains dark. (It is assembled, but I have not fitted the aluminium front bezel or the glass yet). It does not respond to any keyboard commands. The memory moduls have been re-inserted firmly. Help please?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 7:13 AM

4 replies

Jan 31, 2014 7:37 AM in response to Macintosh30

99% certain that's a RAM error.

I just added RAM to my mid-2011 iMac, and one of the modules was defective:

At power on, dark screen and 3 beeps.

I removed all the memory modules (four 2-GB modules) and tried again, just one module at a time to find the bad one.

My mid-2011 with OS X 10.8.5 will boot just fine with only one 2GB module installed. Wouldn't want to RUN any apps with it that way, but for testing, it's fine.

iMac 20in makes three beeps and fails to boot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.