Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very poor service from apple regarding iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program

I experienced the problem 22 december with my Imac display turned white with vertical lines all over the screen. The error was continues on the 22 - 23 and so I decided to contact my dealer on the 23 and report that something was wrong.

My local dealer then took the machine in for diagnostics/troubleshooting and they had it more then 2 weeks, and were never able to get the error message via the apple test, which had to register the error for this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5167 to take effect

The technician then asked me if I could try to take the Imac home and see if the error would come again and if possible document the error!!

I took the Imac home again and same evening I managed to get excactly the same error that was plauging me prior to them trying to test the machine, but this time I recorded the errors and put them on youtube for the technician to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZQhoCpcw5w&list=PLCmKS0JBg_VMJpqy00j8cQ8O1wPx0v gfL&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1_QrQdg5-w&list=PLCmKS0JBg_VMJpqy00j8cQ8O1wPx0v gfL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh_UXJO6BrM

I have had atleast more then 200 of those errors since 22 december but now after the last one in the list there the GFX card has simply broken down and Apple refuse to accept that the card has been faulty regarding this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5167 replacement program and they refuse to accept that those errors I am getting are any part of that program, because their test cannot find the error which seems to be periodic.

This whole situation has been very frustrating and I hope that if there are others out there with this problem, then they can recognize my torment with this and come with a solution of how they have done.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 8:37 AM

18 replies

Jan 31, 2014 9:36 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I have contacted apple in Denmark, which is the place to turn for my applecare, but the thing is that my technician has also contacted apple about the refund, but their answer is that: If their diagnostics test does not find any error regarding the gfx card even though it constantly freezes and those screens that I recorded and documented via youtube dont show on their test, then they wont do anything.

The annoying thing is that they stated that: Apple has determined that some AMD Radeon HD 6970M video cards used in 27-inch iMac computers with 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processors may fail, causing the computer’s display to appear distorted, white or blue with vertical lines, or to turn black. iMac computers with affected video cards were sold between May 2011 and October 2012.

Furthermore: If the iMac (27-inch) meets these requirements, Apple will replace the video card free of charge for three years after the first retail sale of the computer.

And my Imac is from October 2011 and all the information is correct to be able to be under that program, but their test refuses to accept the error even though it is completely visable is just beyond belief.

Jan 31, 2014 10:09 AM in response to Johan Thomsen

You can try calling Apple Support, asking to speak with Customer Relations, and see if they can do anything, but if that's the policy, then that's the policy, as strange as it may appear to you and me. It may be something that AMD is requiring for them to accept that the card is defective and reimburse Apple for the repair, though what the reason behind it doesn't really matter when it comes to you not getting your computer repaired at no charge, obviously.

Regards.

Jan 31, 2014 10:29 AM in response to Johan Thomsen

Johan Thomsen wrote:

I have contacted apple in Denmark, which is the place to turn for my applecare, but the thing is that my technician has also contacted apple about the refund, but their answer is that: If their diagnostics test does not find any error regarding the gfx card even though it constantly freezes and those screens that I recorded and documented via youtube dont show on their test, then they wont do anything.

The annoying thing is that they stated that: Apple has determined that some AMD Radeon HD 6970M video cards used in 27-inch iMac computers with 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processors may fail, causing the computer’s display to appear distorted, white or blue with vertical lines, or to turn black. iMac computers with affected video cards were sold between May 2011 and October 2012.

Furthermore: If the iMac (27-inch) meets these requirements, Apple will replace the video card free of charge for three years after the first retail sale of the computer.

And my Imac is from October 2011 and all the information is correct to be able to be under that program, but their test refuses to accept the error even though it is completely visable is just beyond belief.

As I originally said, call AppleCare directly and ask to speak to a customer advocate. You need to be a little persistent and being pleasant will get you far. If you try to do so angrily this probably will get you nowhere. Asking for a refund is not reasonalble considering the age of the computer however getting it repaired might be.

Feb 10, 2014 3:09 PM in response to Johan Thomsen

I mean not to hickjack your thread, I just wanted to add my voice on the same issue. I started experiencing the same problem on my mid-2011 iMac 27 a week ago. I installed Windows 7, under BootCamp, and the issue remained (wanted to make sure if wasn't something odd on OSX causing it), so I took my machine to an Apple Certified Repair Center at the University were I work (in the U.S.).

I was able to show them the issue, under OSX and Windows 7. The screen goes with white perpendicular lines, or completely black after three to four minutes or playing World of Warcraft, a graphically demanding game). Yet, running the Apple tests (no AHT, but tests unavailable to us, only available to Apple certified technicians) do not show any failure. The technician at my university emailed me, and I quote:

If I cannot get it to fail one of their tests they refuse to acknowledge it needs replacement. (I contacted them earlier today and made sure of all possible ways to get the part.)

What choice do we have?

Feb 10, 2014 4:25 PM in response to Donald Morgan

Don, I am beeing nice. I am not even upset yet.

It is the way that Apple is dealing with an Apple Authorized Service Provider what have me worried and puzzled, as it seems to be leading me no where. Apple is telling my university Authorized Service Provider that unless one of their tests fails they will not acknowledge there is a problem, on a machine with a video card that was determined (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5167) to have problems.

Feb 11, 2014 9:22 AM in response to David Collantes

Welcome to my horribad experience with them... I think that I have been very very polite in communications with them, and have been very patient, but it has gotten me nowhere.

I have had several conversations forth and back between apple departments, and one of their technicians even said, that their tester could be faulty, because the error/fault is not consistant but periodic, and thus the tester did not catch the fault, even though they have publically stated that this specific range of machines do suffer from that error..

I am tempted to even think, that they have made the tester that way so it is very hard to find that fault, and thereby cover it with the extended warrenty they say they will give if the machine has those symptoms...

Just extremely dissapointing to get that bad costumer setvice from them!!!

Feb 11, 2014 9:41 AM in response to Johan Thomsen

Johan,

You need to tell the technicians to let the test run (graphics) for a longer period of time. The tech servicing my machine let it run for 22 hours and was able to register the failure. The replacement shipping approval is now "pending" from Apple (still keeping my fingers crossed). I was getting ready to give the go ahead to get the graphic card replaced and get charged for it. I really need the machine.

Seriously doubting future business with Apple, when it comes down to desktop/laptop computers.

Feb 11, 2014 10:50 AM in response to David Collantes

They had my machine for 5 days running continues tests, and they never got the error to show up, but I had reported the error occuring continuesly every day for one week prior to that, and after I got the Imac back from them where they asked me if I could record the error and upload it to youtube I had more then 100 errors and then my gfx card suddenly went all black and now the Imac wont even show any display due to that graphic error.

Feb 13, 2014 3:50 AM in response to Johan Thomsen

Wanted to add. Brought my machine home yesterday, after graphic card was replaced. System working as expected, perfectly. Johan, insist. Ask technician to try all tests (there are many, many, many available to them), specifically those that relate *only* to the video card. Persist.

If the worse got to worse I was preparing to fork out the $400 cost for the card. That is a lot of money, for a so-so card, but it is Apple.

Mar 26, 2014 11:31 AM in response to Kostas_30

For me it all resulted in me having to pay the repair bill, because apple would not accept to replace the gfx card due to the test not recognising it... The technician said, that he was 100% sure that it was excactly that error which the warranty should cover, but when the test would not diagnose the error, then he had to report the case to apple european headquarters, and their reply was that they would not cover anything unless their tester came up with an error report, even though from the recordings we did live from the screen showed that their tester was faulty and those symptoms were clear with own eyes

All in all an extremely dissapointing experience aswell an expensive experience from something that should be warranty covered...

I will not go on a rave from now on that I will not use apple products again, because I love the products, but their costumer service leaves MUCH to be desired if they are to get back to where they were before they became this leading world brand which actually seems to give ******* about their customer relations, because they are so big now, that they can be in the bully mode, instead of being the bullied one by someone bigger...

<Edited by Host>

Very poor service from apple regarding iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.