Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop for Iphone 4s

I Have seen AirDrop pop up on my iOS7 4S when i plug my phone into my car yet it doesnt show up when i want to actaully use it? any tips on getting air drop? why cant apply just come out with airdrop for older iphones i got this phone a year ago and apple has made me now feel like its ancient

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 8:52 AM

14 replies

Jan 31, 2014 10:31 AM in response to modular747

The chip in the iPhone 4 is not the same as the chip in the iPhone 5. What the precise differences are have not been documented since these are custom chips, but they are different.

In any case, AirDrop requires abilities not supported in the hardware on the iPhone 4S, so Apple cannot add AirDrop to it. The precise reasons are largely academic.

Regards.

Jan 31, 2014 11:47 AM in response to modular747

So if the iPhone 4s has the spec and the same chip why doesn't it work? You said it was because of BT, not the chip.

Incidentally the hacks I've seen for the 4s will support AirDrop between 2 individuals but not multiple individuals, i.e. I can find you and send you a supported file (although since jailbroken it doesn't really matter what kind of file). I can do the same with Varjak Paw. I cannot send the file to you and VP at the same time.

Also, I didn't say CHIP issue either.

Jan 31, 2014 11:59 AM in response to deggie

So if the iPhone 4s has the spec and the same chip why doesn't it work?

Becuase it was not included in the iOS 7 for the 4s. "Why" not is a question only Apple can answer.

the hacks I've seen for the 4s will support AirDrop between 2 individuals but not multiple individuals

Maybe so, but if the WiFi and BT hardware on the 4s lacked WiFi Direct capability as suggested, it couldn't work at all. It's not clear if lack of multiple connections is a limitation of the hack or hardware.

May 19, 2014 8:45 AM in response to bellav18

Firstly, let me say that this feature lagged well behind other smartphones, which is why I believe they should make it available to the earlier model iPhones.

I read about the work arounds to get the airdrop working for 4s ... and I don't believe in that kind of thing, so I will suffer through without it ... but Apple need to realise that by not making it available to older products when it clearly is capable of handling it (according to hack providers), they encourage people to use the work arounds that is put in front of them. Whatever wifi or bluetooth the phone is using, if the hardware is capable then the technology should be available to all ... don't make your older customers feel neglected, Apple - they paid a lot of money to invest in your products and might just decide it's not worth remaining loyal.

As an Apple user from 1988, I feel a bit ripped off by the expeditious upgrades that render our devices non-current due to capabilities that Apple limit (possibily to force us to buy a new product every 2 years or so). I know that technology moves at a fast pace, but when you have computer + iphones +ipads ... that becomes untenable. I am digging my heels in and refusing to buy another iPhone/iPad until they come out with dual sim card capabilities.

May 19, 2014 1:01 PM in response to N.A.T.

While other manufacturers had a similar transfer earlier if you go to their website, say Samsung, you will find that some owners of the previous generation phones complained because they didn't have it. But it was actually a hardware upgrade that enabled it. Same thing for Airdrop, it was in a new chipset. And you are wise to skip the workaround, it performs veery, very poorly and is prone to lock ups.

Cell phones, tablets, phablets etc. are hugely competitive markets so each manufacturer wants to be the latest and greatest. And behind that the companies that make the chipsets, cameras etc. are also highly competitive. If they sell HTC a new model camera that has stop action built in they are going to use it. And all previous models of HTC won't have it.

Since cell phone manufacturers have settled in on yearly updates of their flagship phones you can look forward to at least 4 or 5 new features the previous phone does not have. You can either be happy with what your phone can do, which is what it did when you bought it, or get on one of the plans where you can upgrade every year. But there is no way any cell phone maker can go back and add hardware to older models.

AirDrop for Iphone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.