Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer xp-400 ink left but won't print black

My printer still has ink left only one empty but it will not print black or anything left Epson xp-400

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 9:18 AM

10 replies

Apr 11, 2015 11:24 PM in response to jstoneshelton

I just had this problem: my black ink was low, and I replaced the cartridge and it still didn't print black.

After printing a 4-color message (black, red, yellow, and blue), I saw that it was the black that didn't print.

However, the ink level reading was normal. I tried the automatic nozzle and head cleaning but that didn't solve the problem.

Figuring this was most likely a clog, I took a cotton swab and wiped the area with nail polish remover (non-acetone, which is the solvent I had available) where the ink cartridge delivers ink into the printer. Thinking any solvent will do (alcohol or even water). Once this was done and the area dried, I reinstalled the black cartridge. It now works fine. Hoping anyone else with this issue will have similar luck.

Sep 2, 2016 5:38 PM in response to jstoneshelton

There is an option in the maintenance menu settings to clean the printer heads (or something like that). I pressed that and after about 5 minutes it said it was done, then I printed something and the black came out just fine. I was about to follow the instructions below about the nail polish remover and it occurred to me that perhaps the printer was self cleaning... indeed it is.

Printer xp-400 ink left but won't print black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.