Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wake up issues

So I need some help regarding my Mac and it's driving me mad! Its a bit tempermental and it isnt always the same occurance each time, but basically symptons are (somtimes it occurs, sometimes not with each one!):

Turning on It will freeze on white screen (no logo)

upon waking up from sleep it will display black screen with mouse and notifications. no login UI or wallpaper. Can SOMETIMES login if i just type password (as if login screen is still there). mouse dissapears once typing begins

Sometimes when the previous event occurs (^) and i put computer to sleep it will then do the opposite and display just the wallpaper with no input from mouse, keyboard

I have tried removing all devices (webcam, USB mouse etc) and turning on computer but as its tempermental, it may work anyway!

I have also reinstalled a new OS X over the top from internet recovery

Also reformated HDD and restored OS X.

Also reset SMC and NVRAM.

I can not afford to start fresh, i have a 110GB iTunes Library with 210 iOS apps and photos too important to me to be forgotten.

If there is anything I can do otherthan to pay like £80 to hand over my computer to Genius ?? (dont want those peeps looking at my computer)

iPod touch, iOS 5.1, 32GB, 4th Gen

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 2:11 PM

Hello, hopefully you have a backup of the important stuff! 🙂

Tough to tell what all it is, but...

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts (Users & Groups in later OSX versions)>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2014 2:11 PM in response to thomassooo

Hello, hopefully you have a backup of the important stuff! 🙂

Tough to tell what all it is, but...

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts (Users & Groups in later OSX versions)>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

Feb 1, 2014 1:03 AM in response to BDAqua

Regarding the locations;

Var run doesn't exist

Nothing in startup folder

Nothing again in startup

Loads of files in launch daemons

Few things in launch daemons

3rd party pref are java and flash. And only disk permission repairs were printer.

Does time machine restore system files too? Because it's only personal data I need. Is there a way to backup just my information and wipe OS X and restore it?

Feb 1, 2014 10:52 AM in response to thomassooo

It's always good to have a backup or a clone, but you should be able to re-install the OS & it only replaces OS files, not your data & other files.

I don't think the SUID wraning is of much importance right now.

What all 3rd party extentions are you running?

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Feb 1, 2014 12:21 PM in response to BDAqua

I do have a backup; i use time machine. and I have re-installed the OS before using internet recovery. (removes OS and redownloads and installs over the internet) and as for third party, il just list the internet plug-ins and 3rd party pref panes.

Internet Plug-ins:

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 12.0.0.38 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

DivX Web Player: Version: 3.0.1.5 - SDK 10.5 3rd-Party support link

Flash Player: Version: 12.0.0.38 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link

OVSHelper: Version: 1.1 3rd-Party support link

Default Browser: Version: 537 - SDK 10.9

SharePointBrowserPlugin: Version: 14.3.4 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link

Unity Web Player: Version: UnityPlayer version 4.1.5f1 3rd-Party support link

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.10411.0 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: Java 7 Update 51 3rd-Party support link

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Flash Player 3rd-Party support link

Java 3rd-Party support link

Feb 1, 2014 2:48 PM in response to BDAqua

"No Problem found." I did read on some other posts with similar issue (where whole screen was entirely froze inc mouse and everything was non-responsive and black) but was on a Macbook i believe but someone suggested deleting the cache (and if necersary cookies) from the library. Ive done that, anything else?

Thanks by the way.

Feb 1, 2014 3:55 PM in response to BDAqua

Thats the thing, Its tempermental. it doesnt work ALL the time. Problems really occur only once the computer goes to sleep by itself so its hard to test, but for what happened in safe mood it seemed fine and has done ever since and I have already reinstalled the OS before!

Il wait yet to see if there are still problems. I really only notice problems overnight, as half the time i would leave my mac on for internet sharing (from ethernet to wifi because my router is too far away) so i can use my iPad in bed. Its only when i wake up and go to use my computer i have to hard shut down and turn on. So, il get back tomorrow.

Feb 1, 2014 5:51 PM in response to thomassooo

AHA, after sleeping!

See if it's related to this...

It also seems to be related to later OSX versions, like 10.8.x & 10.9.x

The 2012 macs (and later apparently) (also later OSX versions on earlier Macs can do it also), not waking normally from sleep after hours being in sleep. (noted here ...

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/feb13/022813.html#2012macswontwake

"Why 2012 iMac/2012 Mac Mini won't Wake After Hours of Sleep (Hibernates/Powers Off)")

The sleepimage file still reappears even if never slept. Delete it (hibernate off, etc) - within minutes its back.

A note on that here - http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/Chameleon_SSD_Optimizer.html

About iMac sleep...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1529750

Try this: "sudo pmset autopoweroff 0" and "sudo pmset standby 0"

http://xlr8yourmac.com/archives/sep13/091313.html#10.8.5SleepEjectTip

Wake up issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.