Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection with time capsule is lost

I have the last time the same issue with the time capsule that it lost my connection (between imac and TC). Today I had my last Time Machine backup at 2:47 in the morning. It is now 19:53 in the evening and since then there was no TM backup. Any idea what can go wrong. I'm having this problem for all my macs (imac, mac mini and 2 macbooks). When I select my TM from the finder it also does not connect, allthough it is visible in the finder.

I know that when I unplugg my TC from the power and reconnect it and run the TM back-up it will work again, for several hours. But this is not a soulution ad how it should work.

I any idea what can go wrong?

Regards,

Niels

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 10:56 AM

12 replies

Jan 31, 2014 1:30 PM in response to @nielso@12

Lots of things go wrong.

What is the OS in the computer because this problem, whilst it does exist in Lion and Mountain Lion seems to be exacerbated in Mavericks.

I have suggested to people the following steps.

Reset to factory.

Do the setup of the TC with all SMB names, ie short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. for everything.

TC name and wireless names.

Reset Time Machine. See A4 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

Mount the TC manually in the computer..

In Mavericks you need to use the full domain name.

So in Finder, Go, Connect to server in the top menu,

Type

AFP://TCname.local

Supply the admin or disk password to the TC when asked.. public by default.. make sure it is saved in the keychain.

Redo the setup of Time Machine using the new name.

Trial it.

There is more if that is not successful.

But you may not completely solve it.. I would hope it would work rather better,, like a week or two before the reboot is required.

Feb 1, 2014 2:36 AM in response to @nielso@12

What are the SMB names?

ie short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. for everything.

I thought I was clear.. short.. ie short 2-10 is plenty for most.. put a limit at 20..

No spaces.. ie no spaces.. names with spaces cause trouble so don't have any.

Pure alphanumeric.. ie no other characters but alphanumeric. those are SMB names.

Here is an Apple name.

Fred Blogs's Airport Time Capsule342345

It is wrong.. it is not short.. it has spaces and it has apostrophe.

Here is a good TC name.. That is SMB compatible.

TC

Here is another..

TCgen4

And here is another..

Tardis1

Feb 4, 2014 6:40 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Base Station name is now: "TCName" and the wireless network is "TC_Name".

Still i'm loosing a connection with the TC (as a shared device) for the wirelss network from the TC I never have a problem.

This morning I had a back-up on my iMac and Macbook and somehow the TC as a shared device is not having a connection, but I still have wifi in house.

Feb 4, 2014 12:12 PM in response to @nielso@12

We have started at the end and trying to solve the problem from immediate cause.. but we haven't trouble shoot the whole network.

Give us a full picture of the network..

Modem .. make model, type of broadband service you have.

Is the modem a router?

What model TC exactly.. and firmware is it running??

How is it connect to the main router and in what mode?

Mainly I am looking for router or bridge.. and it should be plugged in by ethernet, WAN TC to Router/Modem LAN port.

If the TC is bridge then it is good to do something to stop its IP changing. That is controlled by the main modem.

As Bob states.. network issues on Mavericks are plentiful.. are you using Mavericks across all your clients or what OS??

Connection with time capsule is lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.