Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help transferring music from iPhone 4s to new PC laptop

I have an iPhone 4s and I recently bought a new PC laptop running Windows 7 64 bit. My main PC is in storage, as I'm moving. I downloaded iTunes onto the laptop, authorized it with my Apple account, but cannot find how to backup the iTunes music library from my phone to the new PC. If I try to "Synch", it tells me it will erase all the content on my iPhone music library. I need instructions on how to backup my music (which is all from CDs I own, which are also in storage) from the iPhone 4s to the laptop. All help is appreciated; the FAQ section in iTunes doesn't cover this if I don't have my old computer handy.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 11:35 AM

4 replies

Feb 2, 2014 8:49 AM in response to judysings

Thank you, Judysings for your help. Unfortunately, I don't have a backup; if I did, it would be in storage with my main computer (along with nearly everything else I own). I found elsewhere that several people had asked the same question, so I'm not alone in this. I did find an answer in another part of this thread, though. It seems Apple will only let you use 1 computer at a time, even though I authorized this computer with my Apple account; therefore Apple doesn't let you do what I need to do. Apple will only let you transfer music you've downloaded from them. I don't download music; I want to own the original CD of all music I like for playing on my main good stereo system (compressed music in iTunes sounds like crap played through a good stereo, but it's fine for headphones through an iPhone or iPad). I have over 1000 CDs that I transferred to iTunes. Apple's only other way is through computer sharing. This is awful because my main computer has been in storage for months, along with all my other belongings. If it had died or needed the hard drive wiped and re-loaded, I would be screwed as well. Another kind user told me of a third party software called TouchCopy. I downloaded TouchCopy 12 from Wide Angle software, but it would only let me transfer 100 songs with the trial version. I wound up buying the full version for $30 and it was worth it to me. It transferred everything. I had to go through it several times and look for the red X next to the songs that didn't transfer, and re-do them. It took about an hour to do approx. 15 GB of music. All my CDs were legitimately purchased, I don't illegally download or share music, this is for my own use on my own computer and iPhone, and still Apple screws me. All in all, the restrictive way Apple handles (or rather blocks you from handling) my situation has me considering switching to an Adroid based system when I replace my phone.

Dec 15, 2014 11:07 PM in response to Darklyng

This is how I copy music from iPhone to computer:

Open iTunes.

Connect the iPhone 4s to your computer with USB cable.

Click the Devices button in the upper-right corner. (If you're viewing the iTunes Store, click the Library button in the upper-right corner. The Devices button will appear.) Some tabs may not appear if you don't have corresponding content in your library. For example, if you don't have any podcasts in your library, the corresponding Podcasts tab won't appear.

Configure the different content types in each tab. For example, movies under the Movies tab.

To sync, click Apply in the lower-right corner of the screen.

See more on: iOS: How to transfer or sync content to your computer - Apple Support

Need help transferring music from iPhone 4s to new PC laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.