Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am considering buying a brand-new Iphone 5 for sprint off of craigslist this weekend, but i need a t-mobile carrier and i heard sprint is not unlockable.. would I be able to switch it for another phone at the apple store?

I am considering buying a brand-new Iphone 5 for sprint off of craigslist this weekend, But I need it in a tmobile carrier. and I heard sprint is not unlockable..
would I be able to switch it at the apple store for a t-mobile phone?

iPhone 5

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 11:24 AM

6 replies

Jan 31, 2014 11:33 AM in response to RussianJoy

Sprint will only unlock iPhones for use on non U.S. carriers and they will only do so for current Sprint customers in good standing.

In addition, there is no such thing as a "brand-new iPhone 5" being sold anywhere. It's discontinued. At the very best, the warranty clock started ticking months ago when it was originally purchased from Sprint or Apple. At the worst... Google "craigslist murders".

Jan 31, 2014 11:37 AM in response to RussianJoy

I am considering buying a brand-new Iphone 5 for sprint off of craigslist this weekend,

Highly risky. As Tim said, it's extremely unlikely that it will be new, and if someone is claiming that it is, they're almost certainly lying and hence may lie about many other things, including whether the iPhone is stolen and locked to some other user.

But I need it in a tmobile carrier. and I heard sprint is not unlockable.

If you need to use it with T-Mobile, I'd strongly suggest you buy the T-Mobile iPhone from them or the Apple Store. It's not worth the risk to buy an iPhone from someone you don't know just to try and save a few dollars. You may lose all your money, or worse.

Regards.

Jan 31, 2014 11:55 AM in response to KiltedTim

No, you won't find they are any higher just like you won't find that crime associated with online classifieds are any higher than printed classifieds. Craigslist is just classified ads not affiliated with newspapers sort of like the old green sheet. Criminals will target all media, whether printed, on the telephone, computer, telegraph, whatever.

I read 2 newspapers every day.

P.S. I found many, many murders related to classified ads and only the one craigslist incident...but then again classifieds have been around a lot longer. I do agree with your point on buying from a legitimate seller though.

I am considering buying a brand-new Iphone 5 for sprint off of craigslist this weekend, but i need a t-mobile carrier and i heard sprint is not unlockable.. would I be able to switch it for another phone at the apple store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.