Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to disable IPv6 in Mavericks.

When I try to disable IPv6 in Network Systems Preferences under Advanced, TCP/IP the only options I am presented with are "Automatic", "Manually", and "Link-local only". Shouldn't there be an option "Off" also? Is there some other way to turn off IPv6 in Mavericks?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 40 Mbps Internet

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 2:12 PM

14 replies

Jan 31, 2014 3:26 PM in response to Grant Lenahan

I'm having a problem with DNS server addresses in Network Preferences. They won't "stick", meaning that they disappear when I reboot and I have to reenter them again. I was told by somebody else that turning off IPv6 would solve the problem.

Anyway, since I wrote, I have learned to turn off IPv6 using a unix command, viz.,

networksetup -setv6off Ethernet

However, it didn't help with the problem I'm having with DNS settings and, obviously, turning off IPv6 probably isn't a great long-term solution anyway. Must be a bug that Apple needs to address.

Jan 31, 2014 4:06 PM in response to Grant Lenahan

Problem began when I installed Mavericks.

I'm not quite sure about your suggestion about copying DNS addresses manually as "additional" addresses. That's exactly what I have to do each time I reboot, which is the problem. The only address that will persist between reboots is a 127.0.. address. I'm not sure where that comes from. Assigned by the OS, I guess. The others that I enter manually simply disappear when I reboot.

The Configure IPv4 field in Network Preferences is set to "Using DHCP". Do you think it would help to set it to a different option?

Thanks for your responses.

Jan 31, 2014 4:23 PM in response to slferris

The problem appears to be some breakdown between your mac and the DNS server/DHCP server that gives you your IP address, your gateway and your DNS.

If you go to network CP —> advanced —> DNS and click + you should be able to add addresses. This allows you to add addresses besides the automatically assigned ones - for example for a corporate LAN. Put the ISP ones in that way and see if it persists - this way they are not coming from the ISP.

I would call the ISP. 10.6.8 has not changed in ages.

Grant

Jan 31, 2014 4:29 PM in response to Grant Lenahan

Sorry, I guess I haven't made myself clear and the heading for Snow Leopard was something I hadn't noticed. The problem we're discussing is indeed a new problem for me with Mavericks.

Anyway. I've done exactly what you last suggested - added DNS addresses the way you outlined. Everything works fine until I reboot, then the DNS addresses simply disappear and I have to reenter them.

Jul 21, 2014 6:20 AM in response to carpii

HI Carpil,

to continue the same discussion i found following things on my Mavericks,

$ networksetup -listallnetworkservices

An asterisk (*) denotes that a network service is disabled.

Ethernet Adaptor (en3)

Wi-Fi

Bluetooth PAN

Thunderbolt Bridge

Ethernet Adaptor (en1)

Bluetooth DUN

$ networksetup -setv6off "Thunderbolt Bridge"

$ networksetup -setv6off "Bluetooth DUN"

$ networksetup -setv6off "Ethernet Adaptor (en1)"

$ networksetup -setv6off "Ethernet Adaptor (en3)"

$ networksetup -setv6off "Bluetooth PAN"

$ networksetup -setv6off "WI-Fi"

$ networksetup -listallnetworkservices

An asterisk (*) denotes that a network service is disabled.

Ethernet Adaptor (en3)

Wi-Fi

Bluetooth PAN

Thunderbolt Bridge

Ethernet Adaptor (en1)

Bluetooth DUN

why it is not switching it off

and also i can see ipv6 address ::1 and fe80:1::1 being present

and also when i run $ netstat -i ipv6 -gps

Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs Coll

lo0 16384 <Link#1> 1155 0 1155 0 0

lo0 16384 localhost ::1 1155 - 1155 - -

lo0 16384 127 localhost 1155 - 1155 - -

lo0 16384 nikhils-mac fe80:1::1 1155 - 1155 - -

so I Was curious how to disable it, and why this command not executing after i give admin user password.

Nov 29, 2015 9:07 PM in response to carpii

carpii wrote:

You can disable it on Mavericks using

networksetup -setv6off wi-fi

networksetup -setv6off ethernet

At this point the 'Off' item will start appearing in the IPv6 drop down list, in network prefs (like it did in SL)

I am not so up on these Mac command line commands ... is there a way to list what the current status is for this?

I am on El Capitan now though. I wanted to find a way to turn IPV6 off, and noticed that the off is not an option.

Nov 30, 2015 3:09 PM in response to bruxxx

bruxxx wrote:

carpii wrote:

You can disable it on Mavericks using

networksetup -setv6off wi-fi

networksetup -setv6off ethernet

At this point the 'Off' item will start appearing in the IPv6 drop down list, in network prefs (like it did in SL)

I am not so up on these Mac command line commands ... is there a way to list what the current status is for this?

I am on El Capitan now though. I wanted to find a way to turn IPV6 off, and noticed that the off is not an option.

User uploaded file

ifconfig # with it off

en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether 68:a8:6d:2d:5c:d4

inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255

nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>

media: autoselect

vs

ifconfig # with it link-local only

en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether 68:a8:6d:2d:5c:d4

inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255

inet6 fe80::6aa8:6dff:fe2d:5cd4%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5

nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>

media: autoselect

Notice when it is link-local only, there is an inet6 line that does not appear when it is off.

There are most likely other ways.

Nov 30, 2015 6:46 PM in response to bruxxx

bruxxx wrote:

Thanks BobHarris, that worked just as advertised.

Do you know the "get" command necessary to query this in networksetup, if there is one?

The closest I can find is

networksetup -getinfo Ethernet

networksetup -getinfo Wi-Fi

But you would have to play with different settings and see how the -getinfo changed to see if you could detect a pattern. The 'ifconfig' command seems to give more info than -getinfo, but that is just me.

- hope i didn't break anything by turning ipv6 off.

I do not know. At one time you could turn it off. It is possible that there are some inter-device services that are using an IPv6 protocol. This is all just a wild guess. Like between a Mac, an iPhone, an Apple TV, a Time Capsule, an Airport Extreme, Apple Watch, etc... Again just a wild guess.

I doubt anything related to surfing, email, software updates, etc... depend on IPv6.

I need to disable IPv6 in Mavericks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.