Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PostgreSQL causing slow shutdown

When running Mavericks Server on my Retina MacBook Pro, shutdown times increase dramatically (from a few seconds to several minutes). During a verbose shutdown, I get the following log messages:

com.apple.launchd                      System: Still alive with 1/7 (normal/anonymous) children.
*.anonymous.pg_receivexlog PID is still valid
*.anonymous.postgres_real PID is still valid
*.anonymous.Python PID is still valid
*.anonymous.pg_receivexlog PID is still valid
com.apple.DeviceManagement.postgres PID is still valid

Even if no services are enabled, PostgreSQL still runs and causes the slow shutdown. If I uninstall Server.app and remove the Server directory, it shuts down normally. As soon as I install Server.app, then shut down, even if I never activate any services, the shutdown time is back to several minutes.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Early 2013, 2.7 Quad, 16GB/512GB

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 3:30 PM

4 replies

Jun 10, 2014 1:58 PM in response to jfm429

You solved the problem yourself! Don't use the server software on the a portable device. As it happens, I was also doing this, so thanks for the help!

I feel like it's for this exact reason that the Server isn't free - by only allowing those who need it - and are willing to put up a few bucks to purchase it, they have a lot fewer complaints. For example, I imagine that this server was also the reason that my MBP took a minute or two to go to sleep.

The reason *I* was using it, was because I wanted the fancy usage graphs that displayed my CPU, memory and network usage over time. But it's not worth the hassle. I'll find something else, or write a python script to create a CSV before I sacrifice the extra overhead this places on the system.

Whatever you're doing, you'll probably be able to find something else that does it even better and with a lot better control than you get with this beast.

Jun 10, 2014 2:15 PM in response to ranvel

That's not a solution. The server software should work regardless of what device it's run on. I tried installing PostgreSQL by itself and it behaves just fine, so the Server.app configuration of PSQL is different. And your logic that since it isn't free it keeps complaints down doesn't make sense. So if I pay for software I should expect it to have problems? No.

As for just monitoring, iStat Menus and iStat Server/iPhone is probably what you want. iStat Menus for monitoring on the computer, and iStat Server connected to the iPhone gives you better historical graphs. And they're much more thorough than the Server app's stats.

Jun 10, 2014 2:37 PM in response to jfm429

Uhh, if everyone had it, everyone's computer would shutdown AND go to sleep slowly. So they charge for it so that only those people who know what they're getting themselves into download it. You pay for it because you know what you're paying for, which you clearly didn't.

Also, I wasn't offering a solution. You don't have server hardware to support the server software. A huge number of the features require that your hardware configuration never changes (static IPs, reliable diskbays, constant connectivity). I imagine that they Apple run tests on the MacMini and MacPro when they test the software, which would be excellent for server configurations.

Going back to the original suggestion, you could probably use a separate package - like the standalone product that you already verified functions without issue.

Jun 10, 2014 2:49 PM in response to ranvel

Actually, I run OS X Server on a Mac mini as well as several Linux clusters and VMs with various configurations. Postgres doesn't cause slow shutdowns on any of those systems, and I'm using it in some cases for fairly large data sets. It only causes slow shutdowns on the rMBP, and that's not doing anything except simply being installed.

Something in the Server.app config on the rMBP is causing unnaturally slow shutdowns, and that's not normal for Postgres. I'd use my own install, but the Server software installs and uses its own copy.

PostgreSQL causing slow shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.