Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer iMessage content from old to new computer?

Just bought a new laptop and was manually transfering files. I wanted to know if you guys have any way of bringing the iMessage content from my old Macbook Pro to my new one, so that when I open iMessage on my new laptop, all my old convo's will be there.

I have accessed the hidden iMessage folder on my old computer and tried transfering that, but it didn't really work.

Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 12:04 PM

Hi,

In Mountain Lion the Folder to start with is ~/Library/Messages (NOT iMessages)

This holds the Archive folder for all saved Chats (iMessages and Buddy list chats)

It also has several chat.db items.

The database items can be "transferred" to the the new Mac in the same Folder.

You are likely to have to change Ownership and Permissions on each. (this applies even if you are "Peter Kassel" on both computers as one computer can tell the file "belongs" somewhere else).

The Archive folder needs to end up in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.ichat/Data/Library/Messages

You will need to replace the Archive folder already there and change Ownership and Permissions again AND then apply those changes to the contents.

Open a Finder window

Use the Go Menu whilst holding down the ALT key.

Select the Library from the Menu.

Navigate to ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.ichat/Data/Library/Messages

Move the Archive folder into the Messages folder.

Now Right Click the Archive Folder and choose the "Get Info " option

In the Info Panel that shows up scroll to the bottom.

Add the Shortname for your Mac User Account on this computer.

Give it Read and Write permissions.

Use the cogwheel icon below the list and then make your self the owner.

User uploaded file

In this pic I already Own the file/folder.

As you can see I have had to unlock the padlock as well.

Once you are the Owner use the "Apply to enclosed items"

This will then change the ownership of all the Saved chats to your User account on this Mac.

Repeat for the ~/Library/Messages contents (the databases) one by one.

You will not have to do the contents change on this.

User uploaded file

8:04 pm Saturday; February 1, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2014 12:04 PM in response to Peter Kassel

Hi,

In Mountain Lion the Folder to start with is ~/Library/Messages (NOT iMessages)

This holds the Archive folder for all saved Chats (iMessages and Buddy list chats)

It also has several chat.db items.

The database items can be "transferred" to the the new Mac in the same Folder.

You are likely to have to change Ownership and Permissions on each. (this applies even if you are "Peter Kassel" on both computers as one computer can tell the file "belongs" somewhere else).

The Archive folder needs to end up in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.ichat/Data/Library/Messages

You will need to replace the Archive folder already there and change Ownership and Permissions again AND then apply those changes to the contents.

Open a Finder window

Use the Go Menu whilst holding down the ALT key.

Select the Library from the Menu.

Navigate to ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.ichat/Data/Library/Messages

Move the Archive folder into the Messages folder.

Now Right Click the Archive Folder and choose the "Get Info " option

In the Info Panel that shows up scroll to the bottom.

Add the Shortname for your Mac User Account on this computer.

Give it Read and Write permissions.

Use the cogwheel icon below the list and then make your self the owner.

User uploaded file

In this pic I already Own the file/folder.

As you can see I have had to unlock the padlock as well.

Once you are the Owner use the "Apply to enclosed items"

This will then change the ownership of all the Saved chats to your User account on this Mac.

Repeat for the ~/Library/Messages contents (the databases) one by one.

You will not have to do the contents change on this.

User uploaded file

8:04 pm Saturday; February 1, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 1, 2014 1:10 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thanks! This worked really well for getting the messages into the iMessage program on my new computer!

I am very pleased with how well this worked, but I have one last question;

The images that usually rest in the message bubbles are not properly in place. I have attached an image:

User uploaded file

As you can see, the ones originating from me are properly placed, but from others are not shown as icons. This isn't a very big deal since if I click them, Preview opens and the images and videos are there, but if possible, I would like to be able to place these in there too.

Any tips?

Feb 1, 2014 1:21 PM in response to Peter Kassel

Hi,

Opps I forgot the Attachments folder in ~/Library/Messages (on both computers)

This is a Folder that contains subfolders that have hexadecimal type names.

You will have to move this and reclaim it's Ownership.

However this is still unlikely to fill in the "history" of iMessages and other chats.

I find that after a while any pic not in the current view of a chat or conversations that has been open for a while (lasts over days or months) may not display In line any longer.

This pic shows a Chat several months back that switches from iMessages to AIM (when I have the Top Hat pic I am iMessaging from my iPhone)

Even my pics do not show in line

User uploaded file

I have not found a "cure" for this.

User uploaded file

9:21 pm Saturday; February 1, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jul 17, 2014 6:33 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi Ralph,

First off, great to see that someone else is trying to bridge the gap with from one version of OSX to the next.

I feel like I've followed your steps in which folders and files to move and and setting permissions, but my old iMessage history still won't "link up" with the new messages in Mavericks. Any other tips?

Thanks!

Tony

Jul 18, 2014 6:04 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I copied the Archive folder, Attachments folder and files labeled Chat.db, Chat.db-shm and Chat.db-wal from ~/Library/Messages on my old machine (OSX 10.8.5) and placed it in on my desktop of the new machine running OSX 10.9.4.

I placed the Archive folder to ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.ichat/Data/Library/Messages. I placed the Attachments folder in the Attachments shortcut folder in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.ichat/Data/Library/Messages. The original folder for this shortcut appears to be ~/Library/Messages. I placed Chat.db, Chat.db-shm and Chat.db-wal in this same Attachments folder. There were files there of the same name so I simply replaced them.

Finally I tried your steps of going into "Get Info" with the two folders and three files. I unlocked the padlock icon, highlighted myself as the owner ( was already listed as the owner) of the folders and files and from the drop down menu chose to "Apply to enclosed items."

My only concern was that the owner name of the old machine and the owner of the new machine are the same. Do you think that would have any effect?

Jul 18, 2014 12:22 PM in response to 3chis

Hi,

Those chat.db items should be outside the Attachments folder

User uploaded file

The files when looked at in Get Info/Info Panel should be greyed out if you already Own the Folder (Unlock the Padlock and click the Cogwheel type icon)

User uploaded file

The Attachments contains any and all of the files and pics transferred in Chat and Conversations and if this Folder is the one from the Older Mac you will need to change it to your "New" ID on this computer and Apply the Contents option.

Linking the Alias (shortcut) icon to the Original - particularly if it is a moved item is a good idea as the the one that was created at set up will have lost the link to the one that you have replaced with the one from the old computer.

Other than that what you have done seems in order.

User uploaded file

8:22 pm Friday; July 18, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jul 20, 2014 11:37 AM in response to 3chis

Hi,

On that iChat .iChat Saved chat files do you know if that is the "Tony" from the new or old computer ?

I would also be interested in how you got it to accept an Upper care character at the start of your Name.

Whilst my Account is called "Ralph" it appears in lower case in the Get Info Panel.

Also check out the Quick Method on this page http://www.fixkb.com/2011/08/reset-home-folder-permissions.html

User uploaded file

7:36 pm Sunday; July 20, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jul 20, 2014 11:52 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

The screenshot was taken from the new computer, so I assume the owner name "Tony" is from the new computer.

When you set up the computer for the first time you have the option of setting the computer's "short name" to whatever you want. It seems to usually default to all lower case letters unless you change it. Not sure how one would make the change after it's been set.

Jul 20, 2014 12:01 PM in response to 3chis

Hi,

If the accounts have the same name how are you telling the difference ?

(I had not tried creating an Mac User Account with an Upper case character at Creation. You learn the oddest things)

User uploaded file

8:00 pm Sunday; July 20, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

How to transfer iMessage content from old to new computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.