Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Going from a PPC to an Intel Mac

Will OS 10.8 Mountain Lion support PPC apps (those I've been running on OS 10.3 up to 10.5.8 Leopard)? I think they will run also on OS 10.6 Snow Leopard, but can't confirm until I have an Intel Mac (needed to run OS 10.6). If OS 10.8 will not support them, will OS 10.7 Lion? I Know that 10.9 Maverick will not.

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 5:31 PM

PowerPC apps are not supported beyond OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). A good portion of the software you're running probably has an Intel-compatible version at this point.

Just about all white MacBooks can run OS X 10.6. Not sure if the later ones will accept a retail disc (the one for sale through the Apple online store), and the mid-2010 white MacBook came with OS X 10.6 or 10.7, depending on when it shipped during the year.

With that in mind, you may want to look for a 2006-2009 white MacBook with the original install discs, just in case. If you get a mid-2010 MacBook with Lion already installed, I don't think you can go back to Snow Leopard.

Hopefully that helps a little!

~Lyssa

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2014 5:31 PM in response to jimmh

PowerPC apps are not supported beyond OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). A good portion of the software you're running probably has an Intel-compatible version at this point.

Just about all white MacBooks can run OS X 10.6. Not sure if the later ones will accept a retail disc (the one for sale through the Apple online store), and the mid-2010 white MacBook came with OS X 10.6 or 10.7, depending on when it shipped during the year.

With that in mind, you may want to look for a 2006-2009 white MacBook with the original install discs, just in case. If you get a mid-2010 MacBook with Lion already installed, I don't think you can go back to Snow Leopard.

Hopefully that helps a little!

~Lyssa

Jan 31, 2014 5:49 PM in response to Lyssa

Thanks, Lyssa for your reply

A good portion of the software you're running probably has an Intel-compatible version at this point.

That's true, except for one really important CAD app I need. My CAD app (Canvas X) was no longer upgraded for Mac starting about 2007. It has been upgraded only for Windows. I think this is about the same time that Mac completed its switch from PPC to Intel, which most likely explains the unwillingness of my CAD company to upgrade. I'm reluctant to attempt running a Windows CAD app on a Mac, using Bootcamp or Parallels.

Much better I think is to get the latest MacBook that will run OS 10.6

Jan 31, 2014 6:00 PM in response to jimmh

I absolutely agree. Eventually you may be forced to choose between switching to a different CAD app or going with a Windows computer and getting the Windows version of the app, but purchasing a used MacBook will buy you some time.

Regardless of which MacBook you go with, I would recommend maxing out the RAM if it isn't maxed out already. If the original hard drive is still in it, be prepared and/or plan to replace it and make sure your data is backed up at least once at all times.

~Lyssa

Feb 2, 2014 3:59 AM in response to jimmh

jimmh wrote:

Thanks, Lyssa for your reply

A good portion of the software you're running probably has an Intel-compatible version at this point.

That's true, except for one really important CAD app I need. My CAD app (Canvas X) was no longer upgraded for Mac starting about 2007. It has been upgraded only for Windows. I think this is about the same time that Mac completed its switch from PPC to Intel, which most likely explains the unwillingness of my CAD company to upgrade. I'm reluctant to attempt running a Windows CAD app on a Mac, using Bootcamp or Parallels.

Much better I think is to get the latest MacBook that will run OS 10.6

Try running Canvas X in Snow Leopard Server installed into Parallels for use in Mavericks.

Here is Adobe CS2 Photoshop (PowerPC) running in SLS in Parallels:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

Going from a PPC to an Intel Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.