Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MOST 3rd party apps taking 15+ mins to launch - installed a new HD + OSX and still taking FOREVER to launch

Most of my 3rd party apps (Ableton, Logic, Chrome, Spotify) either don't launch at all, or take about 5-20 minutes to launch. The apps bounce for a few minutes then hang 'still' with nothing happening. I just installed a BRAND NEW hard drive and reinstalled mavericks and it's still doing the same thing (the issue started in Snow Leopard, if anyone is wondering). I had the genius people run overnight diagnostics and all the hardware checks out fine. Other than this one issue, my computer seems to run perfectly. I just cant open 3rd party programs.... Thus, i can't work.

Again, i've installed a brand new hard drive and did a fresh install of OSX... Also, i have 8gb of ram, so i tried taking each of the 4gb ram sticks out one at a time and tested it (in case the ram was bad), nothing helped.

If ANYONE has any insight into what might be happening, let me know!!!

Thanks

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jan 31, 2014 5:06 PM

4 replies

Jan 31, 2014 6:51 PM in response to BobRz

Thanks for the response.

No, i was sure to NOT put anything from my old system back - it's literally a fresh install with nothing but chrome and a music production program called Ableton on the drive (which i installed in the apple store straight off the internet). I put those on first as they were problematic in the past...

No macKeeper or clean my mac on the drive... I just purchased new ram for good measure and it didnt help :-/

So today i installed new ram, and a new hard drive + OSX.

Jan 31, 2014 7:03 PM in response to pedi

I have no idea what Ableton is, but there seem to be a ton of complaints about it running slow if you google it. I'm wondering if it might be the cause of all your problems. It'd be interesting to see if everything else works if you uninstall it. I'm wondering if it loads some things at boot that slow the rest of your apps down. I don't know what it takes to uninstall and reinstall, but if you decide to try that follow whatever uninstall instructions there are. Sometimes just throwing an app in the trash doesn't fully remove it.

And the built in apps like Safari or whatever work ok?

Jan 31, 2014 7:11 PM in response to BobRz

****, I mistakinlgy hit "This solved my question" (it might, who knows). I will try unsinstalling ableton however most friends of mine use it with no major problems... Certainly none like im dealing with.

Safari, Itunes, Text Edit, all the native apps work great.... Just these 3rd party ones are killing me

MOST 3rd party apps taking 15+ mins to launch - installed a new HD + OSX and still taking FOREVER to launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.