Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWork Apps in Mavericks dock appear to have quit

I've noted in the latest 5.1 versions of Numbers and Pages that - when you close a final document or spreadsheet that is open - that the Numbers and Pages icons in the Dock indicate that the application has quit (there is now 'open' indicator underneat the icon and the pop-up menu displays the 'Open" option), but in fact the Apps are still in memory. Previously, they would still have had the 'open' indicator lit up underneath the icon and a 'Quit" option would appear on the pop-up menu.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Jim

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 7:41 AM

Jim,

I believe that what you describe is part of Mavericks new memory and power conservation measures.

No documents open, app quits after a small delay.

Jerry

5 replies

Feb 1, 2014 10:54 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Hi Jerry

After a couple more tests, it looks like you are indeed right! What happens is that the App quits, but I can see - via Activity Monitor - that it is held in RAM for (in my case) about 1/2 hour and then is removed from RAM after that period.

Presumably the logic is that if someone wishes to open another document within that half hour (i.e. is still working with the App), the App will load quite quickly. After that period, the assumption is that the user is no longer using the App and RAM is freed up for other pruposes.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Jun 9, 2014 10:35 AM in response to Jim Strong

"After a couple more tests, it looks like you are indeed right! What happens is that the App quits, but I can see - via Activity Monitor - that it is held in RAM for (in my case) about 1/2 hour and then is removed from RAM after that period.

Presumably the logic is that if someone wishes to open another document within that half hour (i.e. is still working with the App), the App will load quite quickly. After that period, the assumption is that the user is no longer using the App and RAM is freed up for other pruposes."

Yes, but what I found is that Numbers holds onto the disk the files were on such that it can't be unmounted without a forced unmount. To allow normal unmount you have to reopen a Numbers file, close it and close Numbers, and then the disk can be unmounted normally.

(You may ask why I want to unmount the disk the files are on but I'm using an encrypted sparse bundle disk image and want to unmount it once I've finished with the files. The extra open and close is just tedious.)

iWork Apps in Mavericks dock appear to have quit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.