Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have recently purchased an iMac from the Apple store. I previously had a windows computer and I transferred all my important files and music from the old computer onto an external hard drive. I've plugged the hard drive in and I can't seem to locate it!

Hi everyone,

Before I set up my new iMac, I transferred all my important files from my old windows computer (pictures, documents, iTunes etc) onto an external hard drive. I had no trouble using and locating my hard drive on my old computer, however I'm having great difficulty finding it on my iMac. The external hard drive is plugged in with all wires connected and correct. I've tried all the USB ports and I still can't locate it!

I just want to transfer everything from my hard drive to the iMac!

If anyone could help me locate and guide me through the process of using an external hard drive on an iMac, then that would be brilliant!

iMac

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 3:05 AM

2 replies

I have recently purchased an iMac from the Apple store. I previously had a windows computer and I transferred all my important files and music from the old computer onto an external hard drive. I've plugged the hard drive in and I can't seem to locate it!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.