Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Windows 8.1 on early 2011 Macbook Pro (optical drive replaced by SSD)

Hi,

I recently replaced my HDD with an SSD and the Superdrive with the old HDD. Is there any possibility to install Windows 8.1 with help of an external Superdrive or a bootable USB stick without removing HDD/SSD again?! Would be great!

Thanks,

Linksaussen13

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 5:48 AM

win8.1 dont currently have support by bootcamp so it may not work

but one should be able to install windows in bootcamp using both an external optical drive or usb otherwise it would be bad news for mac mini and macbook airs which also don't have a build in optical drive

3 replies

Feb 1, 2014 6:08 AM in response to Rudegar

okay, thanks!

but I guess the bigger problem will be that the internal Superdrive is replaced and that there is not support for installing windows from an external optical drive if you had an internal drive before. Or am I false!?

But I will try to install windows 7, may be this works! Do you know wheather the upgrade from win7 to win 8.1 is possible?

Installing Windows 8.1 on early 2011 Macbook Pro (optical drive replaced by SSD)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.