Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Finder on Network drives

Opening network drives is a pain since I have installed Mavericks. Sometimes, it takes minutes before I can access the files that are already displayed. My network is very fast and is not likely to be the culprit. What else could be the reason?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 10 GB

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 8:59 AM

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2014 8:59 AM in response to Yarramalong

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try the action that you're having trouble with again. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Feb 1, 2014 2:08 PM in response to Linc Davis

I did nothing else than opening Console and deleting the content of the window. Before doing that, trying to open the finder window displaying that drive would sometimes take minutes, and if an application would try to open something from that drive, it would take time between seconds and hours. So I had to shut down the application and would eventually lose data. Now, I cannot even see how much it takes to open a file.

There may be another issue, but it is unlikely. Yesterday I cleaned up my machine using TechTool. It defragmented some 300 files and after that the entire empty space. TechTool indicated that it would reduce the number of nodes (I am not sure if this name is OK) by about 50%.

Anyway, the actions of Finder were accelarated very substantially. Was was left from my ailing system was the issue with the drives on the network. Normally the appearance of the issue felt like a network error. If you misconnect your switches to create what a sailor mostly does, a knot or a loop, Ethernet will try to maintain the communication, but slow down to less than 10% of the performance. And it becomes unreliable. So I took apart all parts of my network one by one to detect the culprite.

Slow Finder on Network drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.