Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maverick broke my super drive - Intel 2008

After upgrading to Maverick my super drive is no longer working. I insert a disk (DVD or CD) and it just spits it out. The drive is recognized by the system ( a Pioneer brand IIRC) I have followed the instructions for SMC and NVRAM/PRAM reset. I've checked the settings, reset drive permissions and other suggestions ad nauseum.... Now before anyone spouts off that "it's broken - go see the Genius bar folks" - I decided to put in my snow leopard disk (after I shut down the comp). I powered it up while holding the option key and VIOLA' - there is the drive and it is reading the disk. It loaded and gave me the options for reinstalling or troubleshooting.

Im not doing a reload. That would be dumb and waste a ton of time. The drive works. Maverick is the culprit.

Apple Support Folks - what is the solution to this problem? is there a driver update? Can I send you any information to assist in resolving this problem?

Too many exsisting complaints are out there across many different models. Dont ignore your customer base. This is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Chris

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Mavericks Superdrive 2008 intel

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 9:01 AM

2 replies

May 5, 2014 1:53 AM in response to SilverFaux

I have just installed Mavericks in a MBP and like hundreds of people seemingly my superdrive chose that moment to fail, I have read dozens and dozens of re-set this and that and don't do this and that and yesterday just resigned myself to having the back off and installing a new drive.

There is something niggling about replacing a drive that worked perfectly up to a week ago, so just before I did that I went and scouted out my DVD Cleaning disk that was in the garage with my old Windows 95 software, you know the music CD with little nylon bristles that flick the dust off of the SuperDrive Lens.

BANG works like a charm. Not claiming it will work for everone, but it certainly worked for me, if only I'd thought of it 6 hours earlier !!!

Maverick broke my super drive - Intel 2008

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.