Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air or Pro for Music Production

Hello!

So, I am a music producer for a couple of years now and I am working with my 5/6 years old MacBook Pro 15" with a Core2Duo, 4GB (RAM) and 160GB HHD (5200rpm - I think) and is very frustrating to be able to have multiple vst's / plugins to work simultaneously (Using Logic Pro X and Ableton Live 9).

I'm with some doubts among the MacBook Pro (15.4 ") i7 Quad-Core (2.0 GHz) with 8 GB memory (RAM) and Iris Graphics Pro, MacBook Pro (13") i5 Quad-Core with 8GB (RAM) or a MacBook Air i5/i7 with 8GB (RAM).

I do not have much money to spend at the moment, so was wondering if any of these MacBook will last me a few years?

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz)

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 8:24 AM

The MBP will be a better choice for you.🙂

4 replies

Feb 1, 2014 2:20 PM in response to LowLuster

I am working in a studio só I have a Mac Pro (Desktop) there, but I need work at home and sometimes over the flights or watever I am, só I need a something more portable. The maximum that I am thinking is 2000€.

This specs:

Product Title: Apple ME293 MacBook PRO with Retina Display (Intel Core i7 Quad Core, 15.4 Inches, 256GB Flash Storage, 8 GB, OS X Mavericks)

Brand: Apple

Memory Size: 8 GB

Screen Size: 15.4 Inch

Operating System: OS X Mavericks

Hard Disk Capacity: 256 GB

Processor Family: Intel Core i7

By the way, is possible change the 8GB RAM for 16GB by my self?

Cheers

Feb 1, 2014 3:14 PM in response to RogérioMestrinho

It is not possible to change anything on the Retina models once they are purchased. Everything but the SSD/Flash storage is soldered onto the logic board (That is the main system board better known as the Motherboard). The SSD/Flash storage module is of a proprietary design and shape and although there are some companies offering replacement units for the older, original, Retina display models I don't know if those same companies will make one for the newer models. Only time will tell. But if you do repplace it for a bigger, more storage capacity, unit that voids the Apple warranty.

I also suggest you factor in the cost of the Applecare extended warranty because to fix any Mac computer once the warranty is over it is very expensive. So much so it is almost better to buy a new system. This is even more so for the Retina models because of all the component soldered to the main system board.

MacBook Air or Pro for Music Production

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.