Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 8.1 brightness woes

Hi all,

I have a 2013 13" retina MBP running windows 8.1 via bootcamp. It works fine for the most part but it seems that I have a couple issues with the hardware drivers for the monitor and keyboard backlight. I have searched a ton of posts all over the net and haven't figured this out yet.

My problem is that no matter what I do, I can't change the brightness setting while in win 8. The keyboard buttons do nothing, going to power plan settings and changing it does nothing and using the brightness control on the little charm deal does nothing either. I have also disabled the adaptive brightness in windows already. My screen just constantly stays at full brightness, even though windows reports that I have it set to almost off.

Also (not a big deal), my keyboard backlight buttons 'sort of' work. I can usually turn the lights up and down, but it takes minutes for them to respond. I can push the button down a bunch of times and in 2 or 3 minutes my keyboard lights will usually start to dim. Sometimes the keyboard light brightness on screen indicator pops up and stays on the screen until I reboot windows as well.

So, I realize 8.1 isnt really supported yet, but does anyone have any ideas or know of any work arounds that I haven't found yet?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Windows 8

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 8:31 AM

There are no replies.

Windows 8.1 brightness woes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.