Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-Flash Player Speed Test

I have two questions and would certainly appreciate any feedback from the community.

I live in one of the new Google Fiber rollout cities, and we just got the new service installed yesterday. I would like to run a speed test to see what we are actually getting out of the service and experiment connecting to the service through hard wire ethernet connection, throught the wireness network provided through the Google Fiber Network Box, and also through our wireless home network utilizing our 802.11ac Apple Time Capsule (which I believe is a faster wireless connection than the Google Fiber Network Box which I've heard uses 802.11n).

However I had previously decided not to install Adobe Flash Player on our iMac and all of the speed test sites I've come across require flash player.

1. Is anyone aware of a speed test site that does not require flash player?
  2. We do not run any anti-virus or anti-malware software on our system. Is anyone aware of risks to using any speed test sites? The sites test a file upload and download and I'm not sure what they put onto your machine (or your network) and where they put it. I don't know if there is any risk of malicious activity from using a speed test site if you are not running anti-malware software.

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac 3TB

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 1:20 PM

Install Flash Player. You can disable it after doing the checking. The latest version has all the necessary controls. It's a viable tool.

14 replies

Feb 1, 2014 5:08 PM in response to baltwo

Thanks for the response. I didn't know Flash was easy to disable, once on your machine. I've read lots about security concerns with Flash Player, and also the Steve Jobs/Adobe battle lines regarding iOS. I hear it's not as bad as Java, but is something to be careful with on your machine; and also is problematic in causing machine crashes and just being finicky in general.

I've been trying to impart on my wife the importance of security while browsing, and it seems there are lots of phony Flash Player update links lurking around out there. Plug-ins are one of the biggest security breaches as I understand, with Java and Flash being two of the big ones.

It may not be worth it for me, just for a speed test. I will first try the alternative speed test site and may consider installing Chrome. I don't know if Chrome's embedded Flash plug-in poses the same issues as installing Flash directly on your machine. I assume Chrome properly updates the Flash plug-in on its own without the need for web sites to prompt you to update it.

Appreciate the input here today from all...

Feb 1, 2014 5:14 PM in response to crash-davis

Chrome has been my primary browser for several years now. I switched initially because it was much faster with loading pages.

Safari has more or less caught up now, though, so that's no longer a factor.

Chrome automatically updates itself (and its Flash plugin) on a regular basis so you don't have to worry about seeking out updates.

Some additional food for thought:

Very nearly all malware and other junk that can infect your Mac won't just walk into place like it can on a PC. You have to deliberately download and/or install them. If a virus or whatever for a PC gets onto your Mac, all it can do is take up space - it can't run or do any harm.

Take care when installing programs - make sure you know they're legitimate and ask here if you're not certain - and you should have nothing to worry about.

~Lyssa

Feb 1, 2014 5:22 PM in response to Lyssa

Thanks again Lyssa. Good to know that Chrome manages its own plug-in updates. I've been reading about security and have appreciated the "sandbox" approach of Apple. From what I'm reading, web browsing plug-ins are one of the bigger concers, and Flash Player has a lot of phony updates phishing for your mouse click out there.

I don't consider myself a sophisticated user just yet, and may be overly cautious. Appreciate your response.

Feb 2, 2014 5:58 AM in response to crash-davis

crash-davis wrote:

Thanks WZZZ. Appreciate it. Have you ever heard of any security issues from speed test websites?

Haven't heard of any, but I use Adblock Plus in Firefox, which keeps out any and all advertising (if you don't check the "Allow some non-intrusive" advertising box). Because I have ABP I've never seen any of the very insidious ads from MacKeeper, which I'm told appear on speedtest.net. I consider MK to almost fall in the category of malware. Besides that, advertising in general has been known to be a vector for delivering malware.

I have Chrome installed, but only use it rarely as a backup. Anything Google, including Chrome, will, from all accounts, probably try to grab as much of your browsing data as possible. If you care about privacy, then I wouldn't recommend using Chrome.

If you do insist on using Chrome, there is a version of ABP there.

Feb 2, 2014 6:37 AM in response to WZZZ

It's pretty simple to make sure you have only a legitimate Flash. Just get it from either of these two sites, nowhere else.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

And probably the most important thing is to be sure to have the latest, patched Flash installed. Even the legitimate versions are constantly being exploited for delivery of malware.

And, since you are concerned about browser security, I would highly recommend Firefox with the NoScript Add-on. It takes a bit of a learning curve and may sometimes be very frustrating, but it affords many kinds of protection against Javascript browser exploits (not the same as Java, which should be disabled completely.)

http://noscript.net/features

http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=268

Apr 15, 2015 7:18 PM in response to WZZZ

A non-Flash speed test may be helpful. The latest Flash and Safari as well as Chrome versions breaks the Speedtest.net web site, making it impossible to fill out their ISP survey at the end, due to some HTML page control overlapping the Flash speed test control that contains the survey, because the controls inside the Flash object are not clickable.

Non-Flash Player Speed Test

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.