Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Value from cell in previous sheet

Hi all

Hope someone can help me.

I understand that I can use "Sheet 4 :: Table 1" etc to refer to a cell on a different sheet, but in my case I am trying to find a formula that will refer to a cell on the previous sheet. This will allow me to quickly and easily duplicate the sheet without having to amend each and every formula to refer to the previous sheet, which becomes quite tedious!

I've had a look around and can't seem to find the answer, can someone help me?

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 1:29 PM

Tom,

there is no concept of "previous" with regard to tables or sheets. The best you can do is to either number the sheets so they had a number at the end or make a table that contains an "index" (so to speak) that maps a number to a name.

You can have a small table where you enter the "index" or number to identify that sheet and therefore its' relationship to other sheets.

All this can be tied together using the indirect() function which will take a string and convert it to a reference. the "string" can be assebled as needed.

Here is one way:

Create three sheets:

- Summary

- Sheet 1

- Sheet 2

for the sheet "Summary":

create a table like this:

User uploaded file

For the second sheet titles "Sheet 1":

create a table named "Table 1" as shown:

User uploaded file

On this table place a "1" in cell A1 as the sheet identifier and add two values as shown

Duplicate this sheet and change the sheet name (of the new sheet) to "Sheet 2" AND change the value in cell A1 to "2". Now the magic:

User uploaded file

In cell B2 add the formula:

B2=INDIRECT(VLOOKUP(A1−1, Tables::A:B, 2, 0)&"::Table 1::B2")

this is shorthand for select cell B2, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

"=INDIRECT(VLOOKUP(A1−1, Tables::A:B, 2, 0)&"::Table 1::B2")" without the first and last double quotes

This now gets the table name for the previous table (as defined by the table on the "Summary" sheet then retrieves the value from cell B2.

You can add another sheet:

0) add "Sheet 3" to the next row in summary sheet

1) duplicate this sheet (Sheet 3) and

2) rename the new sheet as "Sheet 3" then

3) change the value in cell A1 of the table to "3"

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2014 1:29 PM in response to tomski84

Tom,

there is no concept of "previous" with regard to tables or sheets. The best you can do is to either number the sheets so they had a number at the end or make a table that contains an "index" (so to speak) that maps a number to a name.

You can have a small table where you enter the "index" or number to identify that sheet and therefore its' relationship to other sheets.

All this can be tied together using the indirect() function which will take a string and convert it to a reference. the "string" can be assebled as needed.

Here is one way:

Create three sheets:

- Summary

- Sheet 1

- Sheet 2

for the sheet "Summary":

create a table like this:

User uploaded file

For the second sheet titles "Sheet 1":

create a table named "Table 1" as shown:

User uploaded file

On this table place a "1" in cell A1 as the sheet identifier and add two values as shown

Duplicate this sheet and change the sheet name (of the new sheet) to "Sheet 2" AND change the value in cell A1 to "2". Now the magic:

User uploaded file

In cell B2 add the formula:

B2=INDIRECT(VLOOKUP(A1−1, Tables::A:B, 2, 0)&"::Table 1::B2")

this is shorthand for select cell B2, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

"=INDIRECT(VLOOKUP(A1−1, Tables::A:B, 2, 0)&"::Table 1::B2")" without the first and last double quotes

This now gets the table name for the previous table (as defined by the table on the "Summary" sheet then retrieves the value from cell B2.

You can add another sheet:

0) add "Sheet 3" to the next row in summary sheet

1) duplicate this sheet (Sheet 3) and

2) rename the new sheet as "Sheet 3" then

3) change the value in cell A1 of the table to "3"

Feb 1, 2014 1:34 PM in response to tomski84

Hi tomski84,

As far as I know there isn't a "previous sheet" reference.

But a simple way to get close to what you want, assuming your sheets all have a standardized structure, could look like this:

User uploaded file

=INDIRECT("MySheet "&Sheet Suffix::B2&"::Table 1::A1")

in place of:

=MySheet 1::Table 1::A1

If you set up your formulas this way and name your sheets with sequential suffixes, then you can Duplicate the sheet and all you have to do is change the value in column A of a separate 'Sheet Suffix' table. (Column has a formula of =A2−1)

If you're doing a lot of this, you can automate further using AppleScript. For ideas see link at Mac OS X Automation.

SG

Feb 2, 2014 9:23 PM in response to tomski84

If you've adopted Wayne's system or similar you can use the following AppleScript to generate (and subsequently update) the values for the Tables table used for the lookup. Whenever you need to update/refresh that table (say, after you've added new sheets or renamed some) just run the script while the document is open, click once in the upper-left cell of the range where you want the values, and paste. The sheet number will paste into the first column and sheet Name into the second.

--get number and name for each sheet in a document for pasting into a lookup table

try

tell application "Numbers" to tell the front document

set paste_str to ""

repeat with i from 1 to count sheets

set paste_str to paste_str & i & tab & name of sheet i & return

end repeat

set the clipboard topaste_str

end tell

display notification "Ready to paste" with title "Numbers"

on error

tell application "System Events" to display alert "Did you select an open Numbers document?" buttons "Cancel"

end try

--end of script

SG

Value from cell in previous sheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.