Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I convert from PAL to NTSC in compressor?

I have a project I converted from mp4 file to Apple Pro Res to edit it in FCP. I exported using Compressor and tried to import the files to DVD Studio Pro. It said it can't put PAL files into an NTSC project. I didn't even realize it was filmed in PAL (yes, I have the rights to use the footage). How do I convert the files from PAL to put it into FCP...in Compressor? If so, how? Thanks for any help!

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 1:06 PM

16 replies

Feb 1, 2014 2:26 PM in response to ArleighH

To convert the 25fps PAL file to a 29.97fps file staying within the ProRes codec:

• Open up compressor. In the Settings window select: Apple>Formats>Quicktime>ProRes 422

• Select the "Duplicate Selected Setting" icon in the upper left of the Settings window

• This creates duplicate of the preset that you can edit

• Select the preset copy and, in Inspector, give it a new name (something like ProRes PAL>NTSC)

• In Encoder>Video Settings>Frame rate - and change the frame rate to 29.97

• In Frame Controls> turn them on and set Resize Filter and Rate Conversion to BETTER. (If so set them to BEST, be prepared for a long wait)

• In the Geometry tab, set the Frame Size to 720x480 (you don't say if the file is 16:9 or 4:3)

• Submit the file and go have dinner. Depending on the length of the file, it may take hours.

Have fun.

x

Oct 31, 2015 5:20 PM in response to ArleighH

Hi Guys,

Trying to convert a PAL full frame (1080p HD) 25fps ProResHQ to NTSC for a DVD burn for a festival in the USA.

Using Final Cut X 10.2.2. with the latest version of compressor.. Not absolutely sure what the best option is? As there are quite a few variables now.

How do I do it?! Any help is much appreciated, thank you in advance and let us know if you need additional info.

Nov 4, 2015 6:41 AM in response to Fellowhip

Hi guys,

So, I recently converted a video file (PAL 25frames per second, full HD file, ProresHQ) to a NTSC 720 x 480 29.97 frames per second.

I now need to get it on the dvd! I can get the video on there but the sound was obviously converted to match the new retimed picture, but as a separate file which I can't seem to get on the dvd as well.

Would you happen to know how I can get both the Dolby Digital ac3 file and video file on dvd together sync'd?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help!

How do I convert from PAL to NTSC in compressor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.