Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6 year old Macbook Pro

My older Macbook Pro is acting up. I bought it used about a year ago, it's been great. The harddrive had been replaced with a solid state drive. It won't stay on. It will freeze up, get the squiggly colored lines, and then restart. Any ideas? It does some different things each time, but that seems to be the most common. It gets pixelated, it flashes, it breaks up the screen. Someone help me.

MacBook Pro, 6 years old

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 2:28 PM

1 reply

Feb 1, 2014 3:37 PM in response to Pastordanc

If you have done anything to date you should list them to avoid the, I already did that scene.

Starting points:

SMC reset:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Follow directions for your machine, battery you can remove/batttery you should not remove.

Try a pram reset:

Power up, holding the following keys:

OPTION COMMAND P R

Hold till you hear the start chime chimee 2 times, then release, reboot.

Then try a disk repair, from your original install disk, power up push in disc, select the language, and on the next screen in the menu bar, select utilities/disk utilites, select your volume from the left column, the the First Aid Tab, and run Verify Disk, if it comes uo with errors (they will be in red font) click repair disk.

If it does not come up with the error message (this disk is ok in green font) After a back up, try a reinstal of the OSX, if it comes up with red errors try running it till it comes up green.

If it still comes up with red errors, bring it in to an Apple dtore for a free evaluation. They will tell you what the issue is and price to fix.

Hpe this helps

6 year old Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.