Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages will not open -1712 error?

After an automatic update on 29th January, my Pages has refused to open. I get the error message "Pages.app. can't be opened. -1712

I tried to re-download Pages but was told it is already installed. I do not know what a -1712 error is.

What can I do?

Thank you

Ian

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 4:15 PM

12 replies

Nov 3, 2017 4:07 PM in response to christynewframellc

You should have started a new post in the Pages for Mac Support Community — rather than tack onto a three year old post.

You are not sharing anything that would help someone help you. We are not clairevoyant.

1. Version of Pages (Pages menu : About Pages)
  2. Version of OS X, or macOS that you are running (ïŁż menu : About This Mac)
  3. What fixes you have tried so far in detail, rather than the word “everything” that tells us nothing.

Feb 1, 2014 5:24 PM in response to IanMcClintock

You have 2 versions of Pages on your Mac.

Pages 5 is in your Applications folder.

Pages '09/'08 is in your Applications/iWork folder.

You are alternately opening the wrong versions.

Pages '09/'08 can not open Pages 5 files and you will get the warning that you need a newer version.

Pages 5 can open Pages '09 files but may damage/alter them. It can not open Pages '08 files at all.

Once opened and saved in Pages 5 the Pages '09 files can not be opened in Pages '09.

Anything that is saved to iCloud is also converted to Pages 5 files.

All Pages files no matter what version and incompatibility have the same extension .pages.

Pages 5 files are now only compatible with themselves on a very restricted set of hardware, software and Operating Systems and will not transfer correctly on any other server software than iCloud.

Note: Apple has removed over 90 features from Pages 5 and added many bugs:

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=3527487677f0c 6fa05b6297cd00f8eb9&mforum=iworktipsntrick

Archive/trash Pages 5, after exporting all Pages 5 files to Pages '09 or Word .docx, and rate/review it in the App Store, then get back to work.

Peter

Mar 12, 2014 10:24 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

I have been using the new version of Pages quite happily until today. I tried to open Pages and got the error 1712 message, and I cannot open it from the Application list either. I've tried powering down and it makes no difference. I have no other version of Pages loaded, having previously deleted the old version. I have iWorks 08 and 09 loaded but without the Pages element.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received!

Lorna

Mar 12, 2014 11:49 AM in response to Lorna2412

Hi Peter

I deleted them weeks ago when I installed the new version, because there seemed to be a conflict. I have had no problems at all until today when I exported a document to word, and then subsequently tried to pen a *.docx file, which seemed to make the system hang. I couldn't quit pages and I couldn't do anything except power down, then when I tried to pen pages I got the 1712 error message. Most annoying as I need to help someone with a uni assignment and they're deadlined.

Mar 12, 2014 12:55 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Aha! Found a solution. Leave the mac to it's own devices for a few hours, have supper and swig a glass of something cold and white, then do a restart. Hey presto! Pages opens like a good little app.

I love Mac. You couldn't pay me enough to use Microsoft. But even Mac has its little oddities every now and then. So, it may be a mystery but it's no longer a curse, and that's all that matters.

Thanks for your help and support guys.

L

Pages will not open -1712 error?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.