Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon MX922 Scanner problem

My new MX922 is wirelessly connected to my iMac (10.6.8OS) and will print. Image Capture, however, shows "no camera or scanner connected".

I CAN scan using the Canon Image Garden program but I would rather use Image Capture. How can I do this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 3:50 PM

8 replies

Feb 4, 2014 9:08 AM in response to PAHU

Thank you PAHU.

I must be incredibly inept because I downloaded and installed the ICA driver you referenced.

In system preferences the MX920 series shows up, and it still scans normally with Image Garden, but when I go to Applications and try to open Image Capture I still get the message No Camera or Scanner Connected.

Am I failing to do something here to select or specify Image Capture as my default scan program?

Thank you.

Mike

Feb 4, 2014 1:51 PM in response to mclau003

Hello Mike. It's been a long time since I've used 10.6 so I'm not sure if you have two options in the left sidebar of Image Capture called Devices and Shared. Devices is used for USB connected scanners while Shared is for networked scanners. From the message you are getting it sounds like Image capture is trying to use the Devices setting.

PaHu

Feb 4, 2014 3:53 PM in response to PAHU

PaHu,

Thanks for continuing to hang in there. I do see the Devices and Shared on the left when opening Image Capture but neither is highlighted and clicking on either one does nothing.

As an aside, I have an iMac 8.1, 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 duo with 4 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Do you think it would be worth upgrading to Lion or newer--might this correct the problem (as well as allow icloud and other more recent upgrades. We mainly do internet, mail, photos and Word (I've heard Office for Mac 2008doesn't work with some of the newer systems).

I guess if I can't get Image Capture going I'll just use Image Garden from Canon.

Thanks again,

Mike

Feb 4, 2014 4:39 PM in response to mclau003

mclau003 wrote:

PaHu,

Thanks for continuing to hang in there. I do see the Devices and Shared on the left when opening Image Capture but neither is highlighted and clicking on either one does nothing.

At this stage it is still not clear what could be the cause. So as a test, you could connect the MX to the Mac via USB cable and then see if you can scan with Image Capture - note that you would have to use the Devices entry in Image Capture. If this also fails to scan then it would suggest a scanner driver (ICA) issue.

mclau003 wrote:

As an aside, I have an iMac 8.1, 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 duo with 4 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Do you think it would be worth upgrading to Lion or newer--might this correct the problem

There is no guarantee that upgrading to Lion will fix this issue. I say that because the offending file/s may still be present in the system after you upgrade. If you did a clean installation of Lion without importing your data and then tested the operation of Image Capture, the theory is that it will work fine. And if it does, then you could import your data. But that action would take some time and if it is only Image Capture that it not working correctly, then using Canon's sofware such IJ Scan Utility (rather than Image Garden) would prove a quicker win.

Yet, if you want the features that a new OS provides, then according to MacTracker your iMac 8,1 will support OS X 10.9. As for Office 2008 on 10.9, I have read that it can install and works, but there are users who have experienced various issue with the suite on 10.9. So if you can afford to get Office 2011 then I would recommend it.

mclau003 wrote:

I guess if I can't get Image Capture going I'll just use Image Garden from Canon.

As I mentioned above, I think that the IJ Scan Utility which is included with the MX92x scanner driver is an easier application to use than Image Garden. And it gives you a lot more file options than Image Capture.

Jul 16, 2015 5:55 AM in response to mclau003

Here is a potential solution:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We understand that you are unable to scan with your PIXMA MX922.

Reinstalling the PIXMA MX922 should resolve this issue. Please follow these instructions to uninstall, download and reinstall the drivers:

1. Open the hard drive (Macintosh HD).

2. Open the 'Library' folder.

3. Open the 'Printers' folder.

4. Open the 'Canon' folder.

5. Send the 'BJ Printer' folder to the trash.

6. Return to the 'Library' folder.

7. Open the 'Receipts' folder.

8. Locate any items related to your printer and send them to the trash. However, leave the 'Canon Printer Drivers.pkg' file in the folder.

9. Return to the 'Library' folder.

10. Open 'Image Capture'.

11. Open the 'Twain Data Sources' folder.

12. Send any Canon files related to your printer to the trash.

13. Empty the trash.

14. Restart your computer.

Please follow these steps to download the necessary files to begin installation:

1. Visit Canon's website at: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

2. Type PIXMA MX922 in the "Enter Your Model Name" box and click GO.

3. On the Support page for your unit, click the 'Drivers & Software' link in the middle of the page.

4. Under Recommended Downloads, please click on the MX920 series CUPS Printer Driver.

5. If you agree, please place a checkmark next to "I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to continue with the download".

6. Click the Download button.

7. A File Download box should appear and the file will be saved automatically.

8. Once the download is complete, click on the 'Drivers & Software' link again.

9. Under Recommended Downloads, please click on the MX920 series Scanner Driver.

10. If you agree, please place a checkmark next to "I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to continue with the download".

11. Click the Download button.

12. A File Download box should appear and the file will be saved automatically.

13. Once the download is complete, click on the 'Drivers & Software' link again.

14. Click on Software.

15. Please click on the Canon IJ Network Tool.

16. If you agree, please place a checkmark next to "I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to continue with the download".

17. Click the Download button.

18. A File Download box should appear. When it does, select Save.

19. When the Save As box comes up, click Save.

20. Once the download is complete, close all windows.

To install the unit for use over your network wirelessly, please follow these steps:

1. Press the <Menu> button on your PIXMA MX922.

2. Select Setup and press the <OK> button.

3. Select Device settings and press <OK>.

4. Select LAN settings and press <OK>.

5. Select Wireless LAN setup and press <OK>.

6. Select Other setup and press <OK>.

7. Select Advanced setup and press <OK>.

8. Follow the on screen prompts to complete the setup.

9. Double click [mcpd-mac-mx920-11_7_1_0-ea17_2.dmg] to install the CUPS printer driver.

10. Double click [msd_-mac-mx920-19_1_0a-ea11.dmg] to install the scanner driver.

11. Double click [mnt_-mac-4_5_0-ea19_2.dmg]. Files will extract, follow the prompts to complete installation.

12. Restart the computer.

If you are experiencing difficulties, you may view the installation process by following this link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mx_s eries/pixma_mx922?selectedName=Wireless_Help

Once reintstalled, please attempt to scan.

Canon MX922 Scanner problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.