Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 and App Store not notifying about or automatically checking for updates event though all settings are correct

The information posted in the Apple App Store Help regarding how to set your Mac to check for updates automatically is not what is happening on my iMac mid-2011 using Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 and the App Store to update all Apps - both for Apple Apps and non-Apple Apps. The App Store is not showing a badge icon in the Dock when updates are available, i.e. a red circle with a number 1 in it if there is one update available as shown in the App Store Help. And even though I have selected all options shown to have the App Store automatically check, download and install updates, it is not doing this either. Nor is it installing system files and security updates automatically even though I have selected this as stated in the App Store Help. So since there is no badge icon, and no automatic updates, I have to manually check and install updates every time I get on my Mac, which is a giant pain and a potential security risk if I forget.

Is there a solution for this?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 3.4 GHz Intel Quad-Core i7 mid-2011

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 5:11 PM

16 replies

Feb 1, 2014 7:21 PM in response to alp1116

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting, but don’t remove the context.

Feb 1, 2014 8:14 PM in response to Linc Davis

{

DidRegisterLocalUpdates = 1;

IgnoringUnseenRamped = 0;

LastAttemptSystemVersion = "10.9.1 (13B42)";

LastBackgroundCCDSuccessfulDate = "2014-02-02 02:25:36 +0000";

LastBackgroundSuccessfulDate = "2014-02-02 02:25:36 +0000";

LastFullSuccessfulDate = "2014-02-02 02:25:20 +0000";

LastRecommendedUpdatesAvailable = 0;

LastResultCode = 0;

LastSessionSuccessful = 1;

LastSuccessfulDate = "2014-02-02 02:25:20 +0000";

LastUpdatesAvailable = 0;

PrimaryLanguages = (

en

);

RecommendedUpdates = (

);

SkipLocalCDN = 0;

}

Hi Linc - Above is the output you requested. I noticed when I was working today that my iMac for the first time announced that updates were available to install, but still no red circle showing up on the App Store icon in my dock. Also usually when something is announced, I can respond to it, but there was no accompanying text box saying install now or later. There was nothing, just the announcement. I have not gone to the App Store yet to see what the announcement was referring to. I thought I would give you this information first. If there is some way to turn off the announcement, I would prefer to have the updates download and install automatically, which is what I have selected in preferences, or at the very least show me an indication in the dock via the badge app icon.

Thanks so much for your help.

Anna

Feb 3, 2014 3:32 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc -

I have had the App Store Preferences set this way since I upgraded to Mavericks the end of October, 2013. Sorry it took me a couple of days to get this to you. I tried several times on February 1, 2013, but I guess they were updating Apple Support Communities at the time and I kept getting error messages.

User uploaded file

Anna

Feb 4, 2014 4:07 PM in response to Linc Davis

This may have solved it Linc! I say "may" because until the next update comes along I will not know for sure. After I unchecked and re-checked "Automatically check for updates" per your note above, I went to the App Store, and it was once again showing a flag on the badge icon at the top of the App Store Screen (a number 1 for one update that was available). It did not download the update automatically however. But at least it was notifying me. I do know that there was no flag showing on the badge icon in my dock prior to the uncheck/recheck. Do you still want the shell command output?

Feb 4, 2014 4:40 PM in response to Linc Davis

{

AutomaticCheckEnabled = 1;

LastBackgroundCCDSuccessfulDate = "2014-02-04 04:50:24 +0000";

LastBackgroundSuccessfulDate = "2014-02-04 04:50:24 +0000";

LastFullSuccessfulDate = "2014-02-04 04:50:09 +0000";

LastResultCode = 2;

LastSuccessfulDate = "2014-02-04 23:55:35 +0000";

PrimaryLanguages = (

en

);

RecommendedUpdates = (

);

SkipLocalCDN = 0;

}

Feb 4, 2014 6:21 PM in response to Linc Davis

Not my intention. When I unchecked Automatically check for updates (top box) the system unchecked all the boxes below it as well (without my having to do so). When I re-checked Automatically check for updates (top box) it re-checked all the boxes below it as well (without my having to do so). App Store system preferences looked exactly the same as it did in the photo above with all boxes checked before I ran the shell command a second time.

So maybe I need to go into the subsets of Automatically check for updates and uncheck and recheck each one, while leaving the Automatically check for updates box checked in order to get those to register as well??

I will try that, and then run the shell command once more.

And I will also uncheck and recheck automatically download apps purchased on other Macs too, just to be sure.

I'll post the shell command results again when I have finished.

Feb 4, 2014 6:40 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc - Here is hopefully the last shell command output. Per the above, I left the Automatically check for updates box checked (since you verified that it was working), and I manually unchecked and re-checked the three boxes under it. I also manually unchecked and re-checked the Automatically download apps purchased on others Macs too (that one took awhile to do). Here are the results now with everything checked again:

{

AutomaticCheckEnabled = 1;

AutomaticDownload = 1;

ConfigDataInstall = 1;

CriticalUpdateInstall = 1;

LastBackgroundCCDSuccessfulDate = "2014-02-04 04:50:24 +0000";

LastBackgroundSuccessfulDate = "2014-02-04 04:50:24 +0000";

LastFullSuccessfulDate = "2014-02-04 04:50:09 +0000";

LastResultCode = 2;

LastSuccessfulDate = "2014-02-04 23:55:35 +0000";

PrimaryLanguages = (

en

);

RecommendedUpdates = (

);

SkipLocalCDN = 0;

}

Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 and App Store not notifying about or automatically checking for updates event though all settings are correct

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.