Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you delete an overfull trash in iPhoto???????

I have thousands (very embarrasing amount!!!) of photos to delete in my i-photo trash and nothing works. I cannot even choose a few at a time to delete as it is not letting me do that!! I have already attempted to rebuild and repair the library and nothing works. It just jams up for hours or closes down. Please help???

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 3:18 AM

What is your iPhoto version? The older iPhoto versions had a problem with emptying the trash, if it was too full. In that case, you have to move the trashed photos back out of the trash and delete them gain, but this time don't move more than a few hundred photos into the trash before emptying the trash.

You could create a new event "temporary Trash" and drag the current contents from the trash to this event. Then trash the photos from this event in small installments.

If you have the newest iPhoto, 9.5.1, then post back. In this version the bug should have been fixed. Then you probably need to repair or rebuild your iPhoto library.

-- Léonie

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2014 3:18 AM in response to NicZim

What is your iPhoto version? The older iPhoto versions had a problem with emptying the trash, if it was too full. In that case, you have to move the trashed photos back out of the trash and delete them gain, but this time don't move more than a few hundred photos into the trash before emptying the trash.

You could create a new event "temporary Trash" and drag the current contents from the trash to this event. Then trash the photos from this event in small installments.

If you have the newest iPhoto, 9.5.1, then post back. In this version the bug should have been fixed. Then you probably need to repair or rebuild your iPhoto library.

-- Léonie

Feb 2, 2014 1:25 PM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie:

Thanks for your reply and help.My I-photo version is 9.2.3. I have created some New Event Trash folders and dragged all the trash into them.That part worked fine. However it is still showing some 7,000 trash items somewhere that I cannot access. I don't really want to start unloading those trash folders until the trash is completely empty. Any idea what to do?? Should I just repair and rebuild the files now and see what happens???? Need some advice???

Feb 3, 2014 2:02 AM in response to NicZim

Check in the "view" menu, if you have disabled the display of hidden photos. enable, if necessary and check the Trash again.

Should I just repair and rebuild the files now and see what happens???? Need some advice???

Yes, there may be a problem with the library and it may need repairing the permissions, the database, or rebuilding. See Old Toad's post on how to repir or rebuild: Rebuild iPhoto Version 11

But I'd try first, if you can empty your trash at all in iPhoto, by testing with a new iPhoto library.

File > Switch to library > Create New ...

How do you delete an overfull trash in iPhoto???????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.