Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 vibrating for no reason and cutting sound when plugged in.

Hi, my iPhone 4 (which is only around 7-8 months old) has begun vibrating occassionally for no reason. It will do this even when left sat on a table without being touched and without any incoming posts, messages, calls, etc.

It has also begun vibrating when I plug it in to charge, which it never used to before. Not only this, but it will sometimes also cut the sound from the speakers a few seconds after being plugged in to charge - and can only be listened to through the headphones.

I have not set it to do any of this, and can't find any way of stopping it doing this through the settings.

Can someone explain to me what's happening?

Do I ALREADY have to replace a phone I bought less than a year ago?

PS I can't remember if this is an iPhone 4 or 4S, and the packaging is in the attic. If it makes a difference I can try and get it out.

iPhone 4S

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 7:17 PM

3 replies

Feb 1, 2014 7:22 PM in response to Gotaskor

Check in Settings > Sounds... Also Check your Notifications...

More Info here > Manuals

The Basic Troubleshooting Steps are:

Restart... Reset... Restore from Backup... Restore as New...

Restart... Reset > http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Restore from Backup... Restore as New > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

If you try all these steps and you still have issues... Then a Visit to an Apple Store or AASP (Authorized Apple Service Provider) is the Next Step...

Be sure to make an appointment first...

Feb 1, 2014 7:41 PM in response to AnaMusic

Cheers for the quick reply 😉

I've looked in sounds, but can't find anything relating to the issue - there doesn't seem to be anything in this menu about the phone vibrating when it gets plugged in, or cutting the sound off when it gets plugged in.

As for the restart - reset - restore from backup - restore as new, what will this do to my phone's data? Obviously my apps and music are going to be available still from itunes, but do I need to save things like photos and other stuff first?

I'll give it a shot, but just want to make sure I know what to back up before I do anything drastic.

Again, thank you very much for the quick reply.

iPhone 4 vibrating for no reason and cutting sound when plugged in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.