Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi folks I have a laguage-type question

I'm trying to learn Ruby. I want to use more versions than what's on my system. I have 10.6.8 and kinda like it so don't want to upgrade, and others say I don't have to upgrade. How can I run more than Ruby 1.8? The Ruby page says rbenv or RVM can do this, but are they safe? I don't want to break my compuetr.

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 5:17 AM

Perhaps you can download the source code for Ruby and install it in your /usr/local directory. Make sure you read a few tutorials on how to set it up beforehand.

Once it's compiled with the typical

$./configure

$ make

$ make install

You can then try using. It should probably be installed in /usr/local/bin

If you can't find it, try this

$find /|grep ruby

Good luck!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2014 5:17 AM in response to billy_budd_ii

Perhaps you can download the source code for Ruby and install it in your /usr/local directory. Make sure you read a few tutorials on how to set it up beforehand.

Once it's compiled with the typical

$./configure

$ make

$ make install

You can then try using. It should probably be installed in /usr/local/bin

If you can't find it, try this

$find /|grep ruby

Good luck!

Feb 3, 2014 10:03 PM in response to billy_budd_ii

I'm not sure, since I haven't tried RVM yet. Looks interesting though. I've dabbled with it, but not in depth.

Safety all depends on what you know about Linux, and I'm sure you know quite a bit, since you are programming Ruby.

I just tuned up a few things on my system lately and realize that out of the box OSes and Apps, and the internet in general, is not secure. The enduser has to figure that out for him/herself

(ex: suid, sgid like rlogin rsh are set with the following permissions and the Disk Utility's "Repair Permissions" suggestions are generally quite good. Not so good on the rlogin, rsh ... programs though.

-rwSrwxr-x /usr/bin/rsh

-rwSrwxr-x /usr/bin/rlogin

I guess you could say the same applies to your compiling your own program (ruby src). If you understand how ruby works, you can set it up, choose the options that you need and have a "safe" ruby.

I do however like how port sets things up. It's generally quite clean since it finds and knows what which dependencies to install.

I'm sure you understand this.

Hi folks I have a laguage-type question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.