Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can any photography buffs explain how iPhoto Library Upgrader works please.

I have photos in an old iPhoto library that I would like to convert and add to my present iPhoto library When iPhoto Library Upgrader came out I got it and haven't yet been able to use it for this intent. Every time I try to use it that I do not need to use it for this version of iPhoto, that "your library can open with the current version of iPhoto and does not need to be prepared with this tool." Every time I swithch to that old iPhoto Library and try to open one of the photos the page goes black except for a white exclamation mark inside white triangle. Can anyone here explain how I can get at the photos in the other iPhoto Library?

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 9:32 PM

1 reply

Feb 4, 2014 10:43 AM in response to davesnewlion

what version of iPHoto was the old library created with? THe library upgraded is only required for iPhoto 7 and earlier -- http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1523

Every time I swithch to that old iPhoto Library and try to open one of the photos the page goes black except for a white exclamation mark inside white triangle.

That has nothing to do with upgrading or the upgrader - it is an indication of a broken link between the thumbnail and the original and is cause by one of two reasons -

1 - library corruption - fix by Back up your iPhoto library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - rebuild your iPhoto library database

or

2 - user actions that deleted or moved the originals - deleting using the finder - deleting from the all images list - using MacKeeper, cleanMyMac2 or other malwear that destroys the iPhoto library - if this is the dcase yoru only choice is to go to your backup from before the original were moved or deleted

LN

Can any photography buffs explain how iPhoto Library Upgrader works please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.