Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creaking Chassis - Told its normal?

So I just made a video in case anyone wants to hear what my chassis sounds like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLqx6s_wgV8

Anyway, I went to the apple store today to complain about the creaking chassis. The genius insisted this was normal behavior for any macbook pro with Retina display. He opened it up and showed me the springs, saying this is what keeps the plate attached. Given this is a new replacement device after a series of issues I'd rather this one just be fixed somehow since I now have a perfect screen.

Anyone have any input? Does their RMBP do this? Should I try to get a 4th new replacement? -.- Or somehow try and convince them this is in need of repair.

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 8:45 PM

7 replies

Feb 1, 2014 10:49 PM in response to Community User

that video is so horrible...... is it on a flat surface ..... or is it on ON YOUR LAP ?

thats plate creak from a loose screw on the bottom. If its creaking on your lap like that, its plate pop from not having it on an even surface.

the bottom plate is attached via screw. If on a flat surface, that is not a normal noise for a current MBP.

Feb 1, 2014 11:04 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

It was on my bed which is relatively flat. But I can hold it in my hand and it will make the same noise. I tried tightening all the screws and it still makes quite a lot of noise. I know its a bad video, I'm not in the youtube business 😝

Feb 5, 2014 10:30 AM in response to Community User

So I had to get a new macbook because my screen totally went caput on my week old RMBP. How that happened, I would love to know, and same with the genius. Either way, I have a new RMBP, same specs and there is virtually no creaking or clicking. What occured on my old RMBP was definetely not normal, although it was deemed as being normal. :/ I can only hear a very faint click when there is pressure applied.

So I'm happy I have a new device with no creaking, uniform white samsung screen, and little backlight bleed. I'm just disappointed a genius told me it was normal for my old device to make that noise.

Creaking Chassis - Told its normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.