Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The operation can't be completed because the original item ".." can't be found. Need a fix!

Ok. This is my first and hopefully only discussion ever! Thanks in advance for all the help.

I had set up my network and this was all working fine for months. Time Machine did proper back ups and I could store files on the drive as well over the network. Not sure how, or exactly when this error began. It may have had something to do with the upgrade to Mavericks.

But I can see the drive when I open Finder (which I have named Airport) can then access the directories but will not load any of the files. If the Finder window is closed and I try to access the external drive again via the network, I am prompted with.."The operation can't be completed because the original item ".(Airport)." can't be found. Also of note...there is no "eject" option beside the name of the drive.

I have found only one solution that was dated in 2008 where someone was deleting volumes from their machine and the instructions were not quite clear, so I'm hoping for some new insight on this issue. Honestly, I just didn't understand how to do what he said...several have asked him to elaborate but no further explanations and all other links are now dead. It seems this is a common issue. I'm aware many people will read this and want to say..."i Have this problem too, when im doing something with windows and other computers..." There are many solutions for these situations that I have found....but no recent ones for those with ONLY one drive and an airport extreme running only Apple computers. So guys, lets try to keep this thread for one topic only. Hopefully a quick and helpful thread with a few replies and some step by step directions to solve everyones toubles.

I even had my router replaced and still the same issue. Also, the hard drive works perfectly when hardwired to my computer. So the issue must lay within the settings of my MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9.1. If you feel I should provide any other information I would be happy to do so!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 1, 2014 9:31 PM

6 replies

Feb 1, 2014 9:51 PM in response to DoctorBrianMD

I would also like to clarify...when using finder...Airport Extreme is under the "Shared" category. After clicking this...the name of my hard drive is visible, named Airport. It says I am connected, and not as a guest but with my name.

Secondly, I get full function and no errors when logged in as a root user. But with my little knowledge and know how, I think its best not to fool around on my computer everyday while logged in as a root user. So hope to find a solution. Thanks!

Feb 2, 2014 5:31 PM in response to lexvo

Lexvo,

Thanks for the input. I had to look up what SMB stood for, server message block? So I'm assuming this is not something I'm using.

Also, this is not a "sometimes" problem. This is a consistent and reproducible issue.

As far as an update...I dont see an OS update fixing my issue unless something is overwritten, but maybe not.

I think a good point to consider and open to discussion is why does logging in as a root user solve the issue? What can be done or manipulated to allow functionality with my regular login info versus a root user?

Feb 3, 2014 12:34 PM in response to DoctorBrianMD

Yes, I think your situation is different from mine. I have the problems also when I log in as admin (system administrator). Also, when I get the error message ("The operation can't be completed...") and wait a few minutes then most of the time I can access my server.

I mentioned SMB because it is the default protocol in Mavericks for accessing shares/servers.

The operation can't be completed because the original item ".." can't be found. Need a fix!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.