Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

avast can't delete a virus

I caught a virus while deleting spam. Avast located the file, but it cannot delete it, due to lack of permissions. I tried to find the file and delete it in the finder, but I could not. What can I do?

Here is the path of the file: /.MobileBackups/Computer/2014-01-30-035206/Volume/Users/betzalel/Library/Mail/V2/POP-nmccatty@mail.signifyde sign.com/Deleted Messages.mbox/2DEA7D9C-FD66-4FDD-94EF-CED8B4905FE2/Data/0/0/5/1/Messages/150062 4.emlx|>payment slip.zip#3269360065|>Document.exe.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 4:55 AM

5 replies

Feb 2, 2014 6:03 AM in response to Nicky McCatty

That is Windows malware, and not a threat to your computer. It is in your local snapshots, which are backups kept on your internal hard drive for one week. Anything older than one week is removed. Just ignore this, and it'll be removed on its own.

This came onto your machine via e-mail, as LowLuster points out. You should NEVER let any anti-virus software remove malware of any kind from your e-mail. Doing so will probably leave it on the server (depending on your Mail settings), where it could be re-downloaded to your computer again, and will also corrupt the mailbox indices. For proper removal, see:

How to remove infected files

Finally, note that Avast has a serious and long-standing problem with false positives. I don't generally recommend it.

avast can't delete a virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.