Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Currently I use my private emails at my own domain myinitials@mysurname.com, my gmail.com and when I use it iCloud.com. If I choose the iCloud.com email address does it mean I cannot any longer send and receive from my own personal account that I currentl

I have been asked by iCloud if I want to choose iCloud.com email adders as a default, does this mean I will not receive other emails if sent or received to my my main email address, the one my friends and companies know?

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 8:09 AM

Using iCloud has no effect whatever on your other email services. What it is suggesting is that you should make it the default email to use when sending, and you don't want to do that. Ignore the suggestion, go to Mail preferences>Composing and set the 'Send new messages from' drop-down menu to 'Account of selected mailbox'. Then replies will be sent as from the account the message you are replying to was sent from, and in the case of new messages, it will be the account you have selected in the sidebar (or the top one if you have the overall Inbox selected). You can of course change the selection using the 'From' drop-down menu at the top of the new message pane.

(This info applies to Snow Leopard but I assume it's much the same in later systems).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2014 8:09 AM in response to ofraanaas

Using iCloud has no effect whatever on your other email services. What it is suggesting is that you should make it the default email to use when sending, and you don't want to do that. Ignore the suggestion, go to Mail preferences>Composing and set the 'Send new messages from' drop-down menu to 'Account of selected mailbox'. Then replies will be sent as from the account the message you are replying to was sent from, and in the case of new messages, it will be the account you have selected in the sidebar (or the top one if you have the overall Inbox selected). You can of course change the selection using the 'From' drop-down menu at the top of the new message pane.

(This info applies to Snow Leopard but I assume it's much the same in later systems).

Currently I use my private emails at my own domain myinitials@mysurname.com, my gmail.com and when I use it iCloud.com. If I choose the iCloud.com email address does it mean I cannot any longer send and receive from my own personal account that I currentl

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.