Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie export problem

I have captured a lengthy DV clip (1h) from a camcorder via firewire/thunderbold into imovie 10, did some editing and now like to export the movie to be shared on itunes/apple TV. however, when using the share function (to theater or itunes), the project shows up in the Theater section, but the caption below the movie icon shows permanently "creating movie" without making any progress. I can play back the movie in imovie either from the libary of the Theater, but can not get the file saved in itunes or exported into a external movie file. I tried various file/resolution options but the result is the same.

I am pretty new to the apple world and expected these media tasks to work better compared to PC based edditing, but am somewhat taken back.

I have a 27" imac, with 3.7 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM and 2TB free Fusion Drive space.

Please help.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 9:12 AM

When you share to Theater, it also defaults to upload to iCloud. Depending on your Internet connection that may take quite some time. And your free storage might not be enough for one hour of video. You can disable that in your preferences.

If you cancel the theater and just share to iTunes, things should be rather swift.

Theater on ATV3 can only be viewed when uploaded to the iCloud. However when in iTunes and your computer is on and iTunes opened you can look-up your movie via ATV ->iTunes.

HtH

Ben

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2014 9:12 AM in response to Burt_from_EHV

When you share to Theater, it also defaults to upload to iCloud. Depending on your Internet connection that may take quite some time. And your free storage might not be enough for one hour of video. You can disable that in your preferences.

If you cancel the theater and just share to iTunes, things should be rather swift.

Theater on ATV3 can only be viewed when uploaded to the iCloud. However when in iTunes and your computer is on and iTunes opened you can look-up your movie via ATV ->iTunes.

HtH

Ben

Feb 2, 2014 11:57 PM in response to Ben Bloks

Ben,

thanks and indeed when you disable icloud and deselect placing the file into the theater it works. Strangely there is a 15 minute video limit for icloud which should prevent the upload anyway. The system even prompted if I only wanted to store the movie on my computer which I was OK with.

I did a lot of video editing on PCs and I guess need to get used to the 'intuitive' ways Apple perscribes ;-)

Thanks again, Burkhardt

Feb 3, 2014 3:58 AM in response to Burt_from_EHV

Your're welcome,

Each system takes indeed it's own learning-curve.

iMovie 10 is a totally new ball-game, (even for longtime Apple users 😉 ).

You have the "luck" to step in into a brand new redesigned iMovie, which has great potential, but needs to grow also.

Personally I don't get the concept of the Teather (which is new to iMovie 10) and the use of of it with the very limited iCloud (for this purpose), You are better of with Vimeo or Youtube, or share your project as a file or to iTunes for your home-usage.

I am not using the Theater-function as it doesn't suit my purposes at all.

All in all I love the latest version though.

Have fun

Ben

imovie export problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.