Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location Services won't work on iPod Touch 5th gen?

I have an iPod Touch 5th gen, and the location services won't work. It used to work fine, but recently I tried to look at the weather and it couldn't find my location. Now every app that uses location can't find my location. However, the location works fine anywhere in public, for example it works at my college, but just not at home on my wifi? I'm confused because it always has worked on my home wifi and now it doesn't work? It's not a massive problem but if anyone knows what the problem could be it would be great if you could give me some help 🙂

iPod touch, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 8:14 AM

For location the iPod uses the location of nearby routers that are in Apple's database of routers and their location. Thus it appears that Apple's database is incorrect. You do not have to be connected to the router, just within range.

Apple periodically updates their database based on information they obtain from iPhones, The iPhone has to have turned on the option to send info to Apple. no one has found another way to get the location of a router added/corrected.

You have confirmed that by going to well-know place with wifi like Starbucks or McDonalds

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2014 8:14 AM in response to billyt1996

For location the iPod uses the location of nearby routers that are in Apple's database of routers and their location. Thus it appears that Apple's database is incorrect. You do not have to be connected to the router, just within range.

Apple periodically updates their database based on information they obtain from iPhones, The iPhone has to have turned on the option to send info to Apple. no one has found another way to get the location of a router added/corrected.

You have confirmed that by going to well-know place with wifi like Starbucks or McDonalds

Location Services won't work on iPod Touch 5th gen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.