Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini 2014 freezes with no reason

Hello,

My Mac mini 2010 (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM) freezes with no reason. That means that it can happen at any time in any application no matter how much resources the system uses. At that time the system is not completely freezed. I can move the cursor, open applications (it will take about 3 minutes though), and do any other actions with insanely huge delays. Unusable.

The freezes happen in Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks. I guess Lion will not be an exception. In the last few months I reinstalled the OS X about 20–30 times trying different confgutaitons with no luck. Somtimes the system works okay for one day after reinstall, sometimes a month.

In the last couple of weeks I’ve figued out that there’s something wrong with my disk and/or disk permissions. When I run the disk and persmisisons verificaiton in the Disk Unitlity on a freshly installed OS X I have no errors. However, after using the OS X for some time (1 day–1 month) I get a lot of errors. The last two times the system prompted me that the disk has to be repaired from the Recovery partition. When I tried to do so, I got a message that the disk can’t be repaired and the OS X has to be reinstalled.

My guess is that my HDD is broken or something, but I want someone to confirm it or give some advice before buying a new HDD and trying to replace it by myself.

Any help is highly appreciated,

Kyre

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 8:01 AM

Run Apple's Hardware Test in extended mode at least 2-3 times back to back. If errors appear that confirms your suspicion that you have a hardware problem. If an error comes up you will need to take it in for service to determine what the error code means because Apple does not publish that information. Once you know then you can decide what to do.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2014 8:01 AM in response to kyrfed

Run Apple's Hardware Test in extended mode at least 2-3 times back to back. If errors appear that confirms your suspicion that you have a hardware problem. If an error comes up you will need to take it in for service to determine what the error code means because Apple does not publish that information. Once you know then you can decide what to do.

Feb 2, 2014 10:02 AM in response to kyrfed

When you next have the problem, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above. Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first. Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough. It is never necessary or helpful to post more than about 100 lines. "The more, the better" is not the rule here.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Feb 2, 2014 10:06 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for your advice. I’ve ran the regular test. No errors by now. Ruining the extended one at the moment. I suppose it will not find any errors since the OS X is fresh. I will try to use an external HDD for some time and see if my Mac is still freezing. If not, than the HDD is broken, and I will replace it with an SSD by myself, since there are no Apple stores in my country.

Thanks again.

Mac mini 2014 freezes with no reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.