Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't seem to uninstall Apple Mobile Device support. It starts to uninstall and then the green bar goes backwards and the program remains...

Getting an error message which asks me to reinstall itunes...

Trying to do that now. Uninstalled the first two items but then when I get to the third item, it doesn't seem to unintall in the same way. I don't want to try and uninstall Bonjour (item no. 4) incase something goes wrong.... Please help!

Use the Control Panel to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order and restart your computer:

1. iTunes
  2. Apple Software Update
  3. Apple Mobile Device Support
  4. Bonjour
  5. Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)

Important: Uninstalling these components in a different order or only uninstalling some of these components may have unintended effects.

iPhone 4, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 9:54 AM

Try using the fixit from the following Microsoft document to uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support:

Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled

18 replies

Feb 2, 2014 11:04 AM in response to b noir

ok, now that I have managed to uninstall everything on the list, I have gone and downloaded the latest itunes and installed it. But it won't open and gives an error message:

Apples Application Support can not be found.. please uninstall and reinstall itunes... Error 2

This is my second time reinstalling... do I need to do it a third time???? I did remember to restart after uninstalling and reinstalling....

Feb 2, 2014 11:05 AM in response to chifrom

Apple Application Support can not be found.. please uninstall and reinstall itunes... Error 2

Let's try a standalone Apple Application Support install. It still might not install, but fingers crossed any error messages will give us a better idea of the underlying cause of the issue.

Download and save a copy of the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64setup.exe) installer file to your hard drive:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Download and install the free trial version of WinRAR:

http://www.rarlab.com/

Right-click the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe), and select "Extract to iTunesSetup" (or "Extract to iTunes64Setup"). WinRAR will expand the contents of the file into a folder called "iTunesSetup" (or "iTunes64Setup").

Go into the folder and doubleclick the AppleApplicationSupport.msi to do a standalone AAS install.

Does it install properly for you?

If instead you get an error message during the install, let us know what it says. (Precise text, please.)

Feb 2, 2014 11:54 AM in response to b noir

I reinstalled these two msi files individually.

1. Apple Mobile Device Support
  2. Apple Application Support

Now the error message says:

The Bonjour service has been disabled. Bonjour is required for sharing music with others, playing music through AirPlay speakers, connecting to Apple TV, and using the iPhone and iPod touch Remote. Re-enable the service in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

When I went there Bonjour was not listed. I then checked in the Programs (uninstall section) cos that's were I uninstalled it previously and it was not there... so I assume as I had to reinstall the other things individually that the same would apply. But on the list where the iTunes64.exe file was, the only thing left that I have not clicked is SetupAdmin.

So how to get Bonjour back??

Feb 2, 2014 12:11 PM in response to chifrom

I didn't use winRAR to do the extraction. Didn't know how

Download and install the free trial version of WinRAR:

http://www.rarlab.com/

Right-click the iTunesSetup.exe (or iTunes64Setup.exe), and select "Extract to iTunesSetup" (or "Extract to iTunes64Setup"). WinRAR will expand the contents of the file into a folder called "iTunesSetup" (or "iTunes64Setup").

Go into the folder and doubleclick the Bonjour.msi (or Bonjour64.msi) to do a standalone bonjour install.

Feb 2, 2014 12:33 PM in response to chifrom

I am rather confused now. When I went to the site http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

and pressed download, it says:

You have chosen to open:

iTunes64Setup.exe

which is: Binary File (142MB)

Would you like to save this file?

I press "Save File", but when I go to the Tools menu of my Firefox web browser, it doesn't show that I have downloaded any exe files from iTunes....

It does show that I downloaded the winRAR file and others....

How do I specify where to save this file?

Feb 2, 2014 12:39 PM in response to chifrom

I press "Save File", but when I go to the Tools menu of my Firefox web browser, it doesn't show that I have downloaded any exe files from iTunes....

It can take a while to download. If you click your Green download arrow, does it show the download currently in progress? If so, wait for it to complete and it should then appear in the Downloads folder.

Feb 2, 2014 12:48 PM in response to b noir

I just pressed it and it was instant, the next msg is: Thank you for downloading iTunes... you've downloaded iTunes...

But looking in the Tools/Downloads drop down menu, the iTunes exe file does not show up... where is it going? How do I check if I am actually downloading anything from the site?

iTunes has been fabulous, but this is seriously difficult to fix for me... should be easier I think.

Feb 2, 2014 12:55 PM in response to chifrom

Adding to the above, there seems to be something odd about the way the download is triggered on the iTunes download page. Firefox in particular doesn't seem to like it. Try clearing your browser's cache, changing pop-up blocker settings, using an alternate browser. or these direct links:

iTunesSetup.exe (32-bit)

iTunes64Setup .exe (64-bit)

I got the links by intercepting the download requests from Softpedia's iTunes page. If they don't work try going there. The files themselves are hosted at apple.com.

tt2

I can't seem to uninstall Apple Mobile Device support. It starts to uninstall and then the green bar goes backwards and the program remains...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.