Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.DNG are locked in iPhoto

Good day.
I am using Adobe DNG Conventer for my Canon RAW, to process them in Photoshop CS4

Put the converted files into iPhoto 9.4.2.

In info of the image can not see the format, the size is raw/dng like, when want to edit in the external editor(CS4) - iPhoto sends the jpg version. When want just simply Option/drag the file (big size, no format mentioned) - jpg goes out.

How can I use my DNG's after all?

Please, help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 10:04 AM

33 replies

Feb 2, 2014 10:14 AM in response to InnaKo

Sorry you post makes no sense

I am using Adobe DNG Conventer for my Canon RAW, to process them in Photoshop CS4

Ok - so now you no longer have a RAW image but a new image which should be a TIFF or JPEG for use with iPhoto

Put the converted files into iPhoto 9.4.2.

How? the only way to use photos in iPhto is to import them into iPhoto - there is not way to "put" them into iPhoto

In info of the image can not see the format, the size is raw/dng like,

OK

when want to edit in the external editor(CS4) - iPhoto sends the jpg version

Based on my best guesses as to what you have done (and since you do not tell us we can only guess) you do not have the RAW image in iPhoto - to have the RAW image you must import the RAW image before processing or editing

If you do hae the RAW in iPhoto then you cna click the iPhtoo preference to send RAW for editing - but note that this is problematic since you then have to save teh edited version as a JPEG and import to iPhoto giving you a new copy of the photo not in any way attached to the orginal one

Option/drag the file (big size, no format mentioned) - jpg goes out.

THat is correct - to have control over options you must use the Export command - file menu ==> export - the options available in exporting are described in the user tip on exporting

How can I use my DNG's after all?

If you want to use them in iPhoto you must start by importing them into iPhoto - then iPhoto will always use them

LN

Feb 2, 2014 1:04 PM in response to LarryHN

First of all, thank you for answering. Appreciate =}

I've just got my Mac and learning how to be friends with it. I DO make things way too complicated. I am changing the workflow now and really want to fix the things that are messed up already.

My initial Camera-Raw format is CR2 - one of Canon-Raw's that CS4 is bad with.)

So:

I used to import CR2's into iPhoto, and when wanted to edit them in Photoshop, had to export them into a separate folder(Option-drag), convert into DNG's and open in the Photoshop.

Saved them as .psd or .jpg in the folder and then importer back into iPhoto, if needed.)

Now I've decided to simpIify the proces a little:

From the sd-card I just copied the files into a new folder on the desktop.

Converted them into DNGs and imported into iPhoto.

And that is where the trap is! Now I can not send the file into Photoshop and can not Option-drag the "supposed-to-be" DNG-file out of IPhoto.

And Safari can not open your link --- the user tip .

Please, advise. Thank you very much.

Feb 2, 2014 1:30 PM in response to InnaKo

sorry - user error - the correct link is https://discussions.apple.com/community/ilife/iphoto?view=documents

Your RAW work flow is beyond me - I will ask Terence to review it - he is much stronger in RAW than I am - and the exact Canon Camera model is critical - please post it - as is the version of iPhoto and of the OS - please post both

And on the Camera do you hae a choice of two different versions of RAW - if so choose the other one and test the following work flow - import to iPhoto - use CS4 as the external editor and check the box to pass RAW to the external editor - edit, save as a JPEG and import into iPhoto - that may resolve your workflow issues

LN

Feb 2, 2014 2:05 PM in response to LarryHN

workflow... shame of mine....😊 I am even switching to Nikon because of that. It has no issues of that kind. Better with Mac, better with Photoshop. As far as I know.....

Canon RebelT3 - only one raw-format possible

iPhoto 9.4.2

OS X 10.8.5

As I said, really want to know if something can be done with messed up DNG in the iPhoto. To reveal as much data. In other words I have iPhoto full of 20MB-files that can be processed in CS4 only as 2MB.jpg's. That is an information loss I can not accept easily.

Just want to export those DNG files, or whatever it is now, out of iPhoto and keep them somewhere else.

Feb 2, 2014 3:31 PM in response to InnaKo

That RAW is supported diretly in iPHoto - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4757?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

what happens if you sijmply import the RAW to iPhoto and use the suggested workflow?

test the following work flow - import to iPhoto - use CS4 as the external editor and check the box to pass RAW to the external editor - edit, save as a JPEG and import into iPhoto - that may resolve your workflow issues

LN

Feb 2, 2014 4:11 PM in response to InnaKo

According to Apple documentation your RAW is supported with iPhoto 9.4 or higher and OS X 10.7 or higher - which you meet

Run software update and be sure things are up to date - it should work find directly

What is the exact error from iPhoto before trying to edit in CS4 - have you tried editing in iPhoto?

LN

Feb 2, 2014 4:22 PM in response to LarryHN

iPhoto editing is fine, but I am a photographer and need my CS4.

the error with iPhoto is that I have imported the DNG files in and it gives out only JPGs. Both into CS4 and simple exporting.

I have tried to Export 14,7Mb file from iPhoto by File->Export, have tried all formats:"Original, Current, Jpeg, Tiff and PNG."

I get 4,3Mb JPG every time and "impossible to convert the file into Tiff and PNG".

Just want to export those DNG files, or whatever it is now, out of iPhoto. Is there a way?

Feb 2, 2014 4:27 PM in response to InnaKo

If you export the original then that is what iPhoto has available - you can not export anything that iPhoto does not have

As to editing your test indiciates that iPhoto is fine and you need Adobe support on why CS4 can not handle the photos

- since iPhoto can import the RAW images and can edit the RAW images it is fine

LN

Feb 2, 2014 5:16 PM in response to InnaKo

I have no idea what has gone on but

If you export the original then that is what iPhoto has available - you can not export anything that iPhoto does not have

You can right click on the iPhoto library and show package contents - look (MAKE NO CHANGES) in the originals folder and see what is there - when you export the original that is what you get - that is what is available and what you originally imported

LN

.DNG are locked in iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.