Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I buy a new iPhone 5, will it come with iOS 6?

Hi, I'm from Brazil and we don't have any Apple Stores here yet, just Premium Resellers and the Carrier Stores.

So, in Apple's reseller in my town, there still are some iPhone 5 boxes lying between the iPhone 4S, 5c and 5s's boxes, as well some old iPhone 4 ones. Leaving aside the comments like "wow, iPhone 4 and 5 souldn't be found anymore" (I know that), do you think if I get one, it will still come with iOS 6?

I think so, becuase officially there aren't iPhone 5 in sale anymore, so it wouldn't make sense for Apple to ship them with iOS 7, because they stopped manufactoring the 5 before the iOS 7 and the new iPhones that ship with it, as well as the 4S 8GB, were introduced.

I'm asking this because I got a 5s and I'm deeply disapponted with iOS 7, and for me it ruins all the great features that only the 5s has to offer, and I'm willing to go back to the last iPhone that could run iOS 6.

PS: the Home Screen printed in the iPhone 5 box is from iOS 6, and we know Apple updated the printing on the 4s to iOS 7.

Thank you all in advance

iPhone 5, iOS 6, iPhone 5 with iOS 6

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 10:02 AM

Ask the people who have the iPhone 5 for sale. There is no way to know what they've done to a product that was discontinued several months ago.

8 replies

Feb 2, 2014 10:26 AM in response to Dirty Vegas

Well, I asked and the guy didn't know. And I agree with you, we can't know for sure. My guess is: it has iOS 6 and it's still on sale only because they couldn't sell them before the new iPhones came by, so they're there way before iOS 7 was released. Besides, am I too crazy to give up the 5s just because of iOS 7?

Apr 1, 2014 6:11 PM in response to leocta

Does the Premium Reseller offer a return policy? If you purchased the phone in an Apple store you could return it within 14 days for a refund. If the store you're dealing with offer this you could buy the phone and go through the setup process. You'll soon learn what version of the iOS is installed.

Given that, i would add that it is not wise to continue running iOS 6 when there are no own security flaws. iOS 7 solves those problems and adds the activation lock to prevent thieves from activating your phone should it be stolen or you lose it somehow.

If I buy a new iPhone 5, will it come with iOS 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.