Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I get error that filenames longer than 31 characters are unsupported?

I have read more than one post on this happening on Mavericks, yet I see nothing that indicates anything other than yep, it is an intermittent problem. To summarize:

When saving a file, or exporting to PDF, or printing to PDF, etc., the filesystem will sometimes throw an exception:

1. Error dialog presents: "Names longer than 31 characters are not supporred on the destination volumne."

2. If the filename is shortened, it is "accepted" yet no file is saved at the destination folder.

3. (In my observation) The previously used destination folder is not remembered for saving/exporting subsequent files. (This seems consistent with the files not actually being saved, despite shorter filenames.

This is very problematic, and it has occurred numerous times. Disk Utility shows no problems with the hard disk (using Verify). Rebooting seems to clear it up (sometimes), but it is pretty silly for a Mac to require a reboot like that (that sounds like Windows).

Any help / response would be appreciated.

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 11:05 AM

82 replies

Feb 2, 2014 2:08 PM in response to Csound1

Thanks. I was going to reboot, when I discovered it just magically fixed itself.

As I said in my original question:

"Rebooting seems to clear it up (sometimes), but it is pretty silly for a Mac to require a reboot like that (that sounds like Windows)."

Since upgrading to Mavericks, this behavior just starts happening sometimes. To me, rebooting is not a solution. It is a workaround. I'll do it if that is the only answer, of course, but this is what we expect from the Windows OS, not from OS X.

Feb 2, 2014 2:58 PM in response to Csound1

Most often, I see this when I am using "Print to PDF" or "Export to PDF". Notably but not always from Mail, and usually after having successfully saved a number of documents already. (I save stuff electronically in batches.)

Also, I've had it happen when I am scanning a batch of documents, either to PDF or to JPG, using the Scan Assistant. Again, after one or more has successfully been saved.

I won't say it has never happened from any other application, but once it starts, it seems stuck in this problem (reporting a > 32-character filename, or if shortened the file doesn't actually get saved).

Feb 3, 2014 9:49 AM in response to Leslie Worley

It shows: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) .

Okay, that's not it. I was wondering if you were using a drive that had long ago been formatted Mac OS Standard and hadn't reformatted it as HFS+ (Extended).

The 31 character limit was an OS 9 and earlier thing. If this app is an old title that has been updated by the vendor over the years for OS X, it could be leftover code in the app that is incorrectly kicking in and cutting you off at the old limit.

Feb 3, 2014 10:02 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Hi Kurt,

Unfortunately, the app is Mail, as well as Scan Assistant (general print drivers), in Mavericks. rather than an older app. More specifically (but I cannot claim exclusively) when I try use Print as PDF (Mail), Export as PDF (Mail), or just Save/Save As when scanning a document. I'll be humming along doing these things successfully, them suddenly "names longer than 31 charscters are not supported." And even when you shorten them, it appears to accept it but no file is created.

A reboot will "fix" it, and yesterday I left the computer for a while and came back and it had righted itself I guess we'll have to wait for Apple to think this is a big enough problem to fix!

Thanks!

Why do I get error that filenames longer than 31 characters are unsupported?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.